We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Hi guys,

I'm planning a holiday for myself and my boyfriend for June/July 2012, I know it's early to be planning but we are hoping to book December/January time so want to do all my research!

We have both wanted to visit Hawaii so really excited. We would like to stay some where central for 7 nights, where it's easy to get to nightlife and restaurants as we would love to go out and party a few nights! Near to the beach would be great!

So can anyone recommend any 4-5 star hotel that are centrally located? Our budget at the moment is about £200 per night.

Also what is the nightlife like out there? Are there lots of clubs to choose from or will we have limited choice?

Ultimatly we are looking for relaxation during the day, romantic dinner or strolls along the beach during the evening and a great place to boogie during the night!!!

All ur recommendations and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance x

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

So your nightly budget is a little over 300.00 US dollars a night. There are many very nice hotels along Kalakaua Ave which is basically along the beach. Being that you are both young, you might like the Sheraton, not really Hawaiian, and very large, but the younger crowd seem to like it. Has a very nice infinity pool, and very central to all of the things you mentioned you might like. If you want something more graceful and elegant, then the Moana Surf Rider, tower room, or The Royal Hawaiian. Still right in the middle of everything, but while on their grounds, or balcony, very layed back. Best of both worlds. Also the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach might just be what you are looking for. With your budget you could get a room with a wonderful view. Also right in the middle of everything, and Duke's barefoot bar is right on the property. You definately will want to go there for a little partying. Try google mapping these hotels, and get a street view of the area. Happy planning. Cheryl

Edited: 21 July 2011, 00:47
london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. We are looking for a relaxing laid back kind of hotel, with a calm luxury kind of feel to it! So I will definatly look into some of the suggestions you have made. The last thing I want is the hotel to be full of a 'spring break' type of crowd! As we are after tranquil relaxation during the day.

Can u advise me on how much spending money we might need for 2 people for 7 nights? We don't want to be eating in macdonalds everyday nor do we want to be eating in super swanky restaurants ( with the exception of a night or 2 for a bit of a romantic evening!) at the moment we are thinking £2000 for both of us, is this too small? What are the prices like for meals and alcohol? Getting into clubs etc etc etc

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

That's about 3200.00 usd for two people for seven days, pleny. There are lots of good reasonably priced restaurants in the Waikiki area. And if you want to venture out of Waikiki, you could take the bus to the Ala Moana downtown area where you can find many more restaurants that have great food for great prices. Click on amberloo and food, he gives a great list of places to eat, on the right hand side of the page. At this point you have a lot of time to plan. I also am a planner, and whenever I come across great tips on TA I write them in a journal I am keeping for our trip next year. Half the fun is in the planning as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how much you want to shop but I can tell you that I am a shopper, and I took 2000 dollars for a three week trip and it was plenty for us, mind you a week of that was on a cruise ship, so we didn't have to pay for any meals. Even if you budget 100 a day for 7 days, that's only $700 of your $3000 dollars. You'll be fine. Make a list of the things you want to see while you are there, and write the prices in your book, that way you can have a rough estiimate of how much to take. Cheers! Cheryl

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Also I should mention that drinks can be pricey, but stick to the happy hours, which range from starting at about 2 in the afternoon and going quite late, just depends on where you go. Again keeping a journal of all the places that have happy hours, and there times is helpful. Use the search and type in happy hour, you'll come up with many posts about the best, cheapest, as well as locations. Also, you can buy alcohol pretty cheaply, and usually most hotels have a small fridge. We just buy our own, and pog, (pineapple, orange juice, and guava juice mix), and make our own tropical drink. We sit on the lanai with our drinks, and people watch, or ocean watch, just heaven. Some happy hours are obviously better than others, and it really depends on what you are looking for. I plan on going to the ones with a view, even if the drinks aren't great lol. It's all about the view for me! If you are going in July, just know that it can get pretty hot, so sitting on a balcony with a drink, watching the ocean sounds about right to me. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

You want Waikiki - that's clear.

Understand that you are traveling during a peak vacation period - high season for family vacations.

Calm peaceful feeling ... look at the Royal Hawaiian and Halekulani - although both may be over budget for you.

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html#

Waikiki is densely developed. The "crowd" is not spring-break-ish, but an interesting mix of ages, families, couples, singles - as well as international travelers.

london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Hi all,

Thanks again for all the info, really appreciate it. In regards to things to do and see in Hawaii, I have no idea yet! So far I have only thought of pearl harbour. Can anyone recommend anything else to see and do? We are open to any and all suggestions. As you all might have guessed I am at the initial stages of planning! I thought TA would be the best place to start. Also, in terms of shopping, We are not big shoppers when on holiday, instead opting to spend all our spending money on day to day activities, going out etc, but we do like to bring back something as a memory of where we visit. I wanted to know what the weather is like during June/July time? Is it hot hot hot? Does it usually rain during that period? I'm going to have many more questions so I'll be back with them as I think of them!!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,321 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Pick up a good travel guide (or two) for Oahu - and a good map. Shopping is everywhere. You'll have NO problem buying souvenirs.

Weather: hot, dry, some showers. Highs in mid to high 80s Farenheit. See average temps and precipitation below.

weather.com/weather/…USHI0026

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Have you thought about your flights yet? We try to get non-stops from our home (Chicago) to Hawaii on the better aircraft (767's or 330's). Flights out of some west coast cities are on 757's -- uncomfortable seating in both coach and first. Flights to Hawaii from the mainland US have only two classes: coach and first. Some lines also have 'coach-plus' with a bit more legroom.

Do you plan a two-night stop on the mainland? Vegas is popular.

Since you will be flying so long, you might consider staying more than seven nights. Your first day will be spent re-setting your internal clocks. Your last day you'll be packing up for home. Visitors with at least 10 nights sometimes add a hop to a second island. Since you want nightlife, you might like the Lahaina/Kaanapali area of Maui, although Hawaii's most extensive selection of night spots is in Honolulu.

london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Hi guys,

Hopefully the weather will be good. Anything is better then the miserable summers we usually get here in the uk!

ChiSue, we will be flying from London, uk. We are still to look into flights as it's a year away. I think if we can get the hotel and location sorted and properly figured out we can then look at booking everything.

I want to find out what activities we can do and things to see?????

Also, what are the clubs like?

And any ideas where we could go or what we could do/see for a 'romantic' evening?

I just want to do all the research i can before I book up in December (which is probably the earliest time I can book flights!)

london
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning 1st holiday to Hawaii

Oh I forgot to mention, I checked the flight time from London to Honolulu and it's between 13-19 hours apparently so I think now we might consider spending 10 nights in Hawaii. We might have to stretch our hotel budget from £200 per night to £300 per night, what do you guys think? Can we do 10 nights with £200 per night or might we have to stretch to £300 per night?