We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Specials 2012?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Specials 2012?

This maybe a stupid question… We’ve booked our flight and are planning our first trip to Hawaii. We will be staying on Oahu for 10 days starting the end of January. Does anyone know when the hotels will start offering “specials” for 2012? There are a few specials out there but 99% of them only seem to run until December 21, 2011. Any knowledge would be helpful. Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

Ready - I would start by checking AAA rates, Costco ... and see if your airline offers special rates. Also - if you find a hotel you like, see if there is a discount if you join their loyalty club.

You can do your "shopping" for a hotel now - and book it later. You can even reserve something now - just make sure that you can change or cancel it. You are wise to book early, as the winter months are popular!

How many nights do you have? If you have 10 or more, you might want to visit two islands.

Also - share with us your nightly accomodations budget.

Betty Lou

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

The reason the current specials end on December 21, is that is the start of the Holiday Season, a very high demand period.....

High demand continues through the winter, into late February or early March.

Given the relative strength of the economy (in comparison with a couple of years ago), that tourism from the mainland is currently booming, and hoteliers are looking to increase daily rates to recapture ground lost during the recession, I'm not sure how many discount specials are going to be offered in Hawaii this coming January.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

An afternoon tour is cool, because the tour companies have your tickets "reserved." If Readyfor Coz went in the afternoon on his/her own - they might not get in.

Another thing about the tour is that most, if not all, narrate the ride - and some include other sites. I have found that some tour drivers are very nice about dropping you off at other places along the route back to Waikiki.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 21:44
Minnesota
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

Thanks for the quick response… Our plan is to stay 5 nights in Waikiki and 5 nights on the West or North shore of Oahu with a VRBO condo to relax. We considered going to another island but don’t want to spend our vacation in airports. If we hadn’t already purchased our flight we would of considered flying in one island and out another but its $150 (each) change fee with the frequent flyer tickets. We have spent many hours online looking for hotel deals on everything (AAA, Costco, Funjet etc). We have a room reserved at Park Shore for the 1st 5 days with AAA for under a $100 a night but are looking for (a better deal for) another hotel. Our nightly budget is roughly $150 a night and we prefer to be on the beach. (You know champagne taste on a beer budget) We have also considered Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel. Thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

Don't know if you will find any place with champagne tastes on a beer budget in January. Especially on the north shore. West shore is a place most visitors don't go. Mostly rural neighborhoods and large surf in the winter. Very large surf on the north shore also.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

I like the Queen Kapiolani - which is growing in popularity here on TA. Excellent location across from the zoo and Kapiolani Park. Diamond Head! And you can get a balcony within your budget. 1/2 block from the beach, and you may be able to see the beach from you balcony as well. Check it out.

You won't get beach front on your budget on Waikiki.

The vast majority of accomodations on Oahu are on Waikiki. You may be better situated staying on Waikiki the entire trip and renting a car for part of it.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

check http://www.astonhotels.com/ , they have a special right now for next year, Right across from the beach.

Central MN
Level Contributor
296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

The Hyatt deal through Costco isn't too bad, though the Hyatt deal they had going on our last trip, that we took advantage of was a slightly better value I think (they had double upgrade on the room and half-price parking when we did it). When you factor in the freebies & upgrades, it's still a good deal right now. And you can't beat that location if you plan to spend time on Waikiki beach.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

We stay at Starwood hotels, in Jan-Feb., they usually lower their rates around September, for the following year-it may be earlier, depends on how much reservations they have. I would suggest make a reservation at a hotel of your choice, then keep checking the price, if it is lower, cancel the first one make a new one at the lower rate. Of course, I am talking about refundable reservation.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Specials 2012?

We usually book through Costco and they are probably working on negotiating their deals now, and depending on the property may have them available in Sept or October. This will be the 5th year that we are traveling to Hawaii in Feb. If you use Costco make sure that you call, vs. booking online as a live travel agent will be able to work out several different deals vs. what you can find by plugging in your dates on their website. This past year we booked in Sept and then in Dec I found a significant discounted rate for the same property and they re-booked me (for a fee, but I still saved over $500). Also, be aware that sometimes the Costco specials will sell out, we've had that happen too, where we can only get the rate for part of our trip. Not sure about AAA and the others, but that is my experience with Costco. Good luck!

Also, if you call Costco ask them when or if they have gotten their 2012 special rates or if they are just quoting you a "regular" Costco package. Hope that makes sense.