We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Recommendation

Tulsa
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Recommendation

Hi All, my husband and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary in Hawaii this May. He will also be turning 40 while we are there. Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice evening out that's not formal?

Thanks!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Recommendation

Almost all of the restaurants on Oahu are not formal.

I like Duke's in Outrigger Waikiki hotel & Tiki's in Resortquest Waikiki Beach hotel. But there are many more good ones.

Good restaurant reviews on these sites:

www.driveguidemagazines.com Also good maps

www.honoluluadvertiser.com

Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Recommendation

I agree, go to Duke's or Tiki's. Duke's is my all time favorite restaurant. I go there at least twice every time I'm in Waikiki. The decor, setting by the ocean, and food are great. I love the macadamia nut encrusted fish(they have several choices daily). It's a lovely place but not formal or outrageous. Tiki's is a little more family oriented and "fun", both have good food, I just prefer Duke's. I have heard that the Hula Grill just opened a place in Waikiki. I have been there on Maui several times. It is a sister restaurant to Duke's. I think I read it's close by in location to duke's. They are really nice too.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
809 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Recommendation

We like the Hula Grill upstairs from Dukes. It is a little less casual but certainly not formal.

If you want to go something a little more formal, Orchids at the Halekulani Hotel is beautiful. They do have a stricter dress code (no shorts/thongs for men but aloha shirts are allowed) and you can have the Chefs Dinner Menu which is a 5 course meal for $53. It is a lovely evening without being too expensive !!

Randolph...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining Recommendation

We just returned from a few days in Oahu after Island hopping for 3 weeks. We drove down to the Kahala Mandarin Oriental for dinner at HOKU. I generally avoid hotel restaurants but this one came highly recommended by our hotel concierge. We were not disappointed. It was fabulous. Open kitchen, great service, fabulous food, the freshest fish dishes prepared in mouth-watering fashion. The wine list is extensive. AND, the warm chocolate cake dessert was YUMMMMMMMM.

Check out the dolphins swimming in the cove at the hotel. Enjoy!