We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

I would really appreciate anyones feedback regarding The Trump International. How does it compare to the Royal Hawaiian? As they are both 5* hotels , I would expect that the service is great. I am travelling with my family in early January, I have booked the Sheraton for the first part of our trip and I would love to end the trip somewhere special. We are travelling from Ireland and I want to make this a trip to remember! We are looking at an ocean view studio in the Trump or an oceanfront in the Royal Hawaiian.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Trump -- Hiss! Boo! Dropped in from Anywhere City, edge of Waikiki.

Royal Hawaiian -- Historic, Hawaiian, right in the center of Waikiki.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,919 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

The Royal Hawaiian in a heartbeat. A classic hotel recently, completely renovated. Perfect Waikiki Beach location. Beautiful grounds. A separate pool for adults, and another super-fun pool for kids and adults. I wrote a review in October 2010 for TripAdvisor if you want to check it out.

The Trump ... folks seem to be completely ... ummm ... underwhelmed.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

I have not been in the Trump, so I can't speak directly about it, but given my choice, I would prefer a hotel that is right on the beach, for something special. Along with the Royal Hawaiian, you might want to also look at the Halekulani.

Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Thanks for yor feedback. I think it is interesting that Trump rates as number one and yet I haven't read any comments about it in the forums. I think that the Royal Hawaiian sounds like the better choice, it certainly looks very beautifull. I get butterflies just thinking about this trip!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,445 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Without question the Royal Hawaiian !!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,213 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Aloha,

The Royal Hawaiian Hotel is the better of the two.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,285 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

The Trump rates number one the same way people rave about Cheesecake Factory, they don't know any better or different. As ratings go for actual quality and amenities, the Trump might not be top five.

The Halekulani is #1 with the Royal Hawaiian and Moana Surfrider, right behind and the Hyatt Regency and Hilton Hawaiian Village to round out the top 5 probably, and that is just in Waikiki. The Kahala Resort and JW Marriott might be above the Trump as well.

The Royal blows away the Trump on every level.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

The Trump is new with beautiful furnishing and reports of recent service quality have been very good.

And I would never stay there, as it doesn't remind me of Hawaii at all. You will be happy with either the Royal Hawaiian or the Halekulani. You can also look at the Moana as long as you avoid the super tiny rooms in the old wing.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

It depends on what you are looking for and what you like best. I have stayed at both and like them both for different reasons. If you have younger kids royal Hawaiian has a better pool and is right on the beach where Trump is a short walk. Also Trump has a very small pool with only a few chairs suitable for tanning.

If you prefer modern with small Hawaiian touches but a brand new hotel you might prefer Trump's extremely modern hotel feel, ( also the fact that not as many people have stayed in the room) . They do have some nice touches like giving you a bag with water and fruit before heading to the beach, rental lounge chairs on the beach (for a fee) etc.

Personally, over the royal Hawaiian I think the Halekulani is a better choice, with a nice pool, and small private beach. It may come in at a higher price tag but is definitely worth it.

Again, any of these hotels would be a nice choice and you wouldn't be overly disappointed with any of them. Just think what would be best for your family, look at the hotels websites and make a choice, then have fun. Wishing you and your family a wonderful trip!

Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trump or Royal Hawaiian?

Thank you all for your feedback. I am so glad that I started exploring this forum.It is amazing how often things aren't what they seem.All your posts have been so helpfull.I am going to book the Royal Hawaiian, it sounds as though it will be wonderfull