We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Hey guys-- I thought I'd pass along the savings I found today. We were able to rent a full-size car from HNL through Hotwire for 9 days (1pm on 10/21 to 8pm on 10/29) for $180. The rate was $16.95/day. Economy cars were listed at $14.95. I've been trying to rent a car through Hotwire since Monday, and all prices (even economy) were $100 more for the trip. I'm sure others have gotten better deals, but our trip is getting close, and I wanted to get the rental car paid for. I thought others might want this info. Don't wait too long-- I saw prices similar to these last weekend, but by the time I was ready to book, they were gone! --Katie

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Which car company did you wind up with?

I've been looking at this deal for 9 days in a couple of weeks.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

We got Alamo. Last week, the deal disappeared during the weekdays and reappeared on the weekend, so if it's gone today, there's a chance it will be back on Friday evening or Saturday. Good luck! --Katie

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Thats good..i also wanted to share with the TA community that I have been on the island since October and I have to rent a car every 24 days, I have found that Priceline is my best choice. I have been renting full size cars for 15 to 19 dollars per day by naming my own price.

I also should mention that Enterprise.com has also been my best option at times, I have paid 16/day for a full size car as well.

Good luck!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Thanks for the info , Sloppy. I was looking into Priceline for the rentals, as I use it often for Hotels.

Right now using Costco and AAA codes, I have a compact for 225 from Budget w/ taxes/fees for 9 days.

Friendswood, Texas
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

OP here-- I looked at Priceline before I booked the Hotwire deal. Priceline's taxes and fees were so high, that when I bid $10 a day on a car, it came out to around $180, which is the same price that Hotwire gave me for a full size for 9 days (Hotwire listed it at $16/day, though-- their taxes and fees are much lower). So, just a warning, that the "per day" prices on the two sites are not comparing apples to apples. Make sure you get the full price from both sites and go from there. --Katie

Burnaby
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

Curious u folks ever buuy the car insurance? If u do what is the daily rate?

Mahalo!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

It is bizzare how they (Priceline and Hotwire) break down the cost including the taxes. It seems to change day by day also on how they show it. I just look at the bottom line to decide if it is a great deal or not.

I NEVER buy the insurance, covered by both my Visa and my regular car insurance (Geiko). For you folks from abroad that seems to not be the case.

Here is what we got from Hotwire (National, full size, late Sept)

Car daily rate - Hotwire Hot Rate: $7.95

Rental days: 11

Taxes and fees: $108.73

Subtotal: $196.18

Trip total: $196.18

Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

They must make their money on the car insurance. They charge around $25/day . Their policy is that if you get in an accident, even if you have insurance, you will be charged until the vehicle is repaired & back in service which they indicate your insurance will not cover for the days out of service. They warned me of this before I signed for the car. I'm sure it's in the small print .

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

we did a hotwire and got budget, no problems at all

Strathmore, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotwire Rental Cars from $14.95/day-- HNL

longboard, was there any extra charges when you picked up the car? I'm always worried that if I go through a third party that there will be extra charges from the rental company when I pick up the car