We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st timers

we are staying at the Waikki shore condos beside de russy park...can anyone tell me where the closest fitness facilities are and is it safe for a woman to walk along the beach in the early am?

Also if you have any suggestions on best place to go for a luau

thanks

Lorie

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,759 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers

Try the luau at the Hale Koa (in Fort DeRussy). If they have tickets left (which they usually do) after all the military folks get theirs they let the general public in. They do it a couple days a week.

It is safe to walk the beach IMHO, but that depends on what you mean by early AM...I assume near sunrise?

Sorry can't help you on the fitness facility.

Mentioned in this post
Hale Koa Hotel
Hale Koa Hotel
2,097 Reviews
Oahu, HI
massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,724 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers

If you like to walk there was an open exercise room over one of the stores that they were doing a spinning class in on Kuhio Ave. Maybe someone familiar with it can help with the name.

We just got back from Waikiki Shores, loved the location. I walked every morning both ends of the beach, nobody ever bothered me in the early am, or at any other time of the day or night.

Mentioned in this post
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
481 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers

Waikiki is one of the safest area in Honolulu, which is one of the safest cities in the US. You'll be fine. Take a long enough walk or run and you won't need the fitness facilities. :)

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers

It’s a 24 Hour Fitness on Kalakaua Ave, walked by many times. Looks like they have a great spin class, personally I prefer a morning jog though when there, normally I go btwn 7-8:00am (5-6km’s) there are tons of joggers out at that time, it’s very safe.

Mentioned in this post
Kalakaua Ave
Kalakaua Ave
130 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers

There are a lot of single women walking the beach and the streets of Waikiki exercising at all hours of the day (perhaps not middle of the night). I'm always amazed at how many young women are out exercising before sunrise.

I believe one reason for a lot of single women exercising is the number of airlines that have to put up flight attendants in Waikiki for 12 to 24 hours before they fly back to the mainland, Japan, Korea, Australia and other long distance flights.

While I'm a guy, I have always felt safe walking around Waikiki. If you are walking fast no one will bother you. Like one of the posters above, skip the gym and get out and walk, walk, walk.

Suggestion: Walk from your condo to Diamond Head and all the way to the top. The views are great. The walk is exhilarating. You will be spiritually and physically renewed.

If you need a walking buddy I may run into you later this week making my morning walk to Diamond Head.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers

thanks for the advice, i think walking will be my form of exercise when i am there...how far would the walk be from shores condo to diamond head?

Edited: 24 August 2011, 18:39
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st timers

Airline crews ?

Those are the young women of our community going for their morning work-out before heading off to the job. Hawaii is considered among the healthiest, happiest, most exercizing states.

There are maybe 300,000 residents within a couple miles of Diamond Head. And only a few dozen flight attendents.

The 24-hour fitness is in the Pacific Beach Hotel. It is small, and they charge a steep daily fee ($25 ?), but they have the absolute best equipment, and there is nothing like doing your cardio while looking out the floor-to-ceiling windows and watching dawn and the early surfers.

Really, concern about safety while walking the streets isn't much of an issue here. Honolulu is cool.

Edited: 24 August 2011, 19:13
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
8. Re: 1st timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 22:16