We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Cedar City, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Staying on Waikiki, but want to go to other beaches to avoid the crowds and get into some good snorkeling and beach time. Went to Shark's cove last time and had a blast. We will be going the middle of October. Just me and my wife...

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Quality snorkeling direcly off a sandy beach is pretty rare on Oahu, apart from Haunauma Bay....

If you are looking for the best beaches to visit (large strand, sandy water entry, sun, least crowd, and parking/facilities):

1. Waimanalo Bay State Recreation Area/Bellows

2. Kailua/Lanikai

3. Waimea Bay

4. Kokololio

If you want some snorekeling nearby a beach, but one that is maybe not the best strand, check-out:

1. Electric Beach (near the Kahe Point power station)

2. Kaupu Beach Park, on the Southerly windward side between Sea Life Park and Waimanalo.

3. Queen's beach fronting Kapiolani Park, less crowded than Central Waikiki and with some pretty good snorkeling in the Waikiki Marine Conservation District.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Chances of finding good snorkeling in late October anywhere but the south shore will be pretty slim. On the windward side we have found a neat place to snorkel off shore called Kaiona Beach Park. Not too far north of Makapuu. In the winter, there tends to more portugese man o war in the waters, just check the beach, if you see any there it's best not to get into the water.

The best place to snorkel IMHO in the winter, I will also recommend Queens Beach in the Waikiki Marine Life Conservation District.

Amberloo suggested we also go out to Kokololio and let me tell you he was spot on. That is one of the best, uncrowded beaches on Oahu.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

A day at the Kailua and Lanikai beach is a recipe for a fantastic vacation.

Consider renting a kayak and enjoying the area that way.

Also, one one of your first days when you still have a little jet-lag consider sunrise on the Lanikai beach. The experience is special.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Nice catch Fuzzy....

I had forgotten the name of the little area there between Kaupo and Waimanalo.

That's where that great new restroom facility is at, right?

When the water is clear it is great with the coral heads spread across the sandy bottom. Seem to see lots of turtles in the water out there.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Kailua and Lanikai also my fave

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

You got it amberloo, we were there this last weekend. Coral and turtles and all kinds of fish. shhh, told the dh I wouldn't tell anyone!! Best restroom facilities in a beach park on the island.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

are you guys talking about Cockroach Bay ?

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

No, Cockroach Bay (sometimes called "Baby Makapuu") is located between Makapuu and the UH pier....

Kaupo Beach Park (unimproved) is north of the pier maybe a half-mile.

Kaiona Beach Park is north of the Elks grounds, Magnum House and just past that Hale Pahonu pink house.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 01:43
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
621 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Wayde's world poor mans guide to Hawaii has a nice video of Kaiona beach on YouTube. He also has videos on at least a dozen others with directions, where to park, etc.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 02:37
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rank of best go to beaches in Oahu

Lanikai is my favorite. Paddling over to flat island it a lot of fun for the family. My 8 year old loves Kalama Beach. It is a great boogie boarding place. My sister live in Lanikai, so I might be biased.