We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare sales for June/July?

Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare sales for June/July?

I am planning a trip to Honolulu for late June to a few days after Fourth of July from the Bay Area (Calif.). Right now, the cheapest flight is $550 r/t on ATA.

Should we book ASAP, or would it pay to wait a few weeks to see if the flight will go down, or there will be a sale? Is this fare typical for this time of year, or should we wait for a better fare?

thanks in advance. haven't been to Hawaii in a decade and have no clue about what constitutes a good fare.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

Mine was over $900 from Chicago including 2 inter island flights for August.

bc_canada
Level Contributor
221 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

aloha... check out aloha airlines, they fly from Oakland. Also you can apply on-line for an AlohaPass, their frequent flier program (AlohaPass Miles never expire). And sign up for their e-mail alerts (free 1000 Aloha Miles). AlohaPass members can book on-line with special web only airfare offers. Some special airfares were from $150 OW from Oakland to HNL. There is a seat sale on now for some summer travel.

Note: Aloha used to fly out to Hawaii from my city, but the service has been discontinued. I still have my AlohaPass Account, which I can accumulate Miles from flying between HNL and the Neighbor Islands.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

I have been researching airfare for trip in Nov and have come upon

www.valuetravelhawaii.com

We booked tickets yesterday and save 200 each ticket.

check them out, they are Honolulu based and so far so good...its our first time using them but I am impressed with them.

Just for info, of our last four visits to Hawaii we have always used an Hawaiin based travel agency, they have the best rates.

We used Sun-Quest Hawaii vacation

Thru Konaweb.com we found Phyllis at Kona Travel and now we have found

Valuetravelhawaii.

by checking thru these you will get idea of prices...so far the absolute best for us is valuetravelhawaii...key in info and get pricing ideas.

Hope this helps

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

Airfare for the summer months tends to go up after the first week of June and stay up until approx the last week of Aug. (I looked on Hawaiian Airlines site. Fares more than double after June 8.) I go back and forth to CA all the time picking whichever airport is cheapest. Check SFO, OAK, SJC and even SMF. But, for the summer, I've found it's usually 5-600 dollars. So, the fare you've found is very typical for summer.

The key is, find a fare you can live with, and then stop looking! If you choose to wait it out, you're making the gamble not only that fares will drop (or go up) but you also may not be able to get your first choice dates/times/airline/or departure city.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

Couple of weeks ago on Hawaiian Airlines website, I found LAX to Kauai for $450 r/t in mid AUGUST !!! And it's STILL available. What up with that?

Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

Thanks for all your tips. I checked valuetravelhawaii.com and I was amazed to find a $430 fare on delta from SFO to Hawaii for our desired dates and times! The same fare on the Delta site was $700!

I'm hesitant, however, to book through a third party that I have had no experience with, however. Has anyone else tried this site, besides the kind poster who just suggested this? How can they offer such a deep discount? I can't help but be a bit skeptical.

Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare sales for June/July?

Ok, I'm answering my own question now. It turns out the valuetravelhawaii.com and Panda Travel share the same search engine and flight deals. The Value Travel people work with Panda. If you go to airtohawaii.com you'll find the same flights, prices, search engine, etc. Panda is one of the oldest travel agencies in Hawaii and very reputable. You could go either site and be OK.

I think will book on airtohawaii.com. Such a great deal! $430 r/t from SFO during july!

Thanks to everyone for the advice!