We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfall hiking question

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pillager, Minnesota
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Waterfall hiking question

Hiking:

Diamond Head, Makapuu Lighthouse Trail, Manoa Falls, Waimea Valley, Kaiwa Ridge Trail (aka Lanikai Pillbox), Kaena Point from Leeward (west) side or from north side

Hi - I know I'm pushing my luck with my dear hubby adding waterfall hikes to our list of "things to do" this time but he'll live. Question is - I need easy hikes that would easily fit into a morning's activities list based on location too - so I am wondering if anyone can advise on that? I know Manoa Falls is considered an "easy" hike and based on where it is should I try to incorporate the hike into our day plans to explore Kailua?

16 more days!!!! Thanks for any help....

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Try Maunawili Falls if you're going to Kailua. It is an easy to moderate hike for most people.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Just past Manoa Falls is the Lyon Arboretum

http://www.hawaii.edu/lyonarboretum/

It is a wonderful morning of walking among some beautiful plants and trees. There is a trail that leads to a waterfall, which in August when we were there, was just a trickle. If you call, they can tell you if there is more water at that fall, which, depending on how much rain there has been lately, could be great. The trail is well maintained and a pleasant walk.

We loved Likeke Falls, too. There is a trail that starts at the parking lot of the Koolau Golf Course. It can be steep and muddy at times, but easy to moderate. Great falls, lots of flowers along the trail, and beautiful views.

Frankly, I'd skip Diamondhead and go on a more jungly hike with fewer people. But I prefer to go off the beaten track.

Have a wonderful time.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
3,425 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterfall hiking question

What jungle type hike could you suggest ? also safe for children and looking for waterfalls perhaps a area they could stop and swim?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterfall hiking question

You don't want to stop and swim at any of the waterfalls except the one in Waimea Valley. Bacteria is always a concern.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Manoa Falls is very nice and pretty easy hike. We just did Maunawili Falls a week ago and I would classify it as a good moderate hike, not easy (IMO). It is a mile and a half and many very rocky stretches and tons of stretches with lots of large tree roots crossing over the path. You will cross a creek two times. If there has been any rain the path is very slippery. Your shoes will get muddy and wet. NO flip flops! It just amazing me when you see how many people try this type of hike in those things.

You can jump in the water when you get there, so plan for that.

Makapuu Lighthouse Trial is another nice hike. That is definately an easy one, but with great view. You also get to see a fabulous lighthouse at the edge of a cliff.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Mariner's Ridge is a really nice hike. About 1 mile each way. Awesome views from the top.

Likeke Falls is a nice waterfall. Kind of like Manoa Falls. Easy 1/2 mile hike each way. Your shoes will get muddy. Trailhead is at Koolau Golf Club/Presbyterian Church in Kaneohe. There are a couple of small pools at the bottom of the falls. Not deep enough to swim in, but you can take your shoes off & stand in the pools.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
16,669 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Palmtree: Jungle type hikes would include Manoa Falls, Lyon Arboretum, Likeke Falls, Maunawili Falls ( I think - haven't done this one - it's on my list). Be sure to use mosquito repellent. I think kids can do any of these. Especially with the promise of a picnic afterward!

I too don't recommend swimming although we have seen people doing it; I think it is leptosporosis (a bacteria) that one can get.

Here is one of my favorite websites:

www.world-of-waterfalls.com/hawaii-oahu.html

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,526 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waterfall hiking question

A couple of notes about Likeke Falls from the world of waterfalls link.

The falls is about 50' not 15'.

I have done the same hike from Pali Lookout. It is about 3.5 miles roundtrip. And it has some stunning views along the route, especially from the old Pali Highway.

But the easiest way to get to the falls is as I described in reply #6.

Hike about 10 minutes on the trail. Turn right by a big tree that has a yellow or yellow-white trunk. It is also where the trail widens with rocks placed there as a base.

From the turn, it is another 10 minutes or so to the falls.

Cross the stream at the bottom of the falls. Just across the opposite side is kind of a scenic lookout that overlooks Kaneohe.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 04:27
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,526 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Waterfall hiking question

The link also mentions Kapena Falls and nearby Waikahalulu Falls.

Waikahalulu Falls is in Liliuokalani Gardens just across H-1 from downtown Honolulu. On Kuakini St. just off Nuuanu Ave. The falls is only 30-40 yards form the paring lot.

Kapena Falls is just upstream a few blocks from Liliuokalani Gardens. Located behind Nuuanu Cemetery just off Nuuanu Ave. The falls is about 200 yards (meters) from the parking area. Drive through the cemetery. Go around the gazebo & drive to behind the cemetery. Park behind the cemetery near the stream.

The trailhead is difficult to locate at first. It starts behind a maintenance shed.

There are petroglyphs along the way. Look for a small area that is fenced off.

Kapena Falls was also used in the movie "The Rundown" with The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). A jeep goes over the falls in the movie.

The pool below the falls was used by Hawaiian royalty to swim & bathe.

The Royal Mausoleum is near Nuuanu Cemetery.

You can also get to Kapena Falls from Pali Highway. Park at the scenic lookout that overlooks the pagoda. Walk up Pali Highway about 30 yards (meters). The stream bank is rather steep going to the falls from Pali Highway side. So I recommend going from the cemetery.

Neither of these two waterfalls are impressive. But they are near each other & easy to get to.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,075 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waterfall hiking question

Thanks Dusty for the additional waterfall info, will look at for next year.