We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plate lunch.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
plate lunch.

I'm allways reading about plate lunches and I would love to know what they are. I been to hawaii 5 times and have probally had one and didn't realise it. Also I'v got to tell all the people on trip adviser who contribute especialy the locals on the Hawaii site, I never plan a holiday without consulting trip adviser first. Will be in honolulu in may 2012 and I'm reading TA every day.MAHALO.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: plate lunch.

Please do a search at top of page for plate lunch. You must have missed this question just a few days ago. There has been considerable response to the question and you will get some great ideas.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: plate lunch.

Don't feel bad. SO, SO many people go to Hawaii and never try a plate lunch, one of the greatest things to eat in Hawaii!!!

California
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: plate lunch.

Those are usually the same people that complain that eating out is so expensive in Hawaii!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,773 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: plate lunch.

A plate lunch is: 2 scoops of white rice, 1 scoop of macaroni salad, plus your (usually fried) main dish like chicken or pork katsu, ground beef patty, etc.

aloha suze

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,454 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: plate lunch.

Your question wasn't addressed in the thread that Patti is talking about, so I'm glad suz2you answered it. You can look at the other thread for the best plate lunches on the island. The meat can also consist of shrimp, pork ribs or kalua pork too!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,010 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: plate lunch.

Here are some good resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_lunch

nytimes.com/2008/11/12/dining/12plate.html

http://platelunch.blogspot.com/

tastyislandhawaii.com/2010/…

Bendigo
Level Contributor
901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: plate lunch.

msfuzz - my apologies. You are quite right and I did not read the question correctly. I had jumped ahead to all the fantastic places to get a plate lunch - we are just back and the plate lunch was such fun. Not a speciality in Australia so another joy in Hawaii. Thankyou for being so nice to me when I clearly made an error.XX

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,454 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: plate lunch.

We are here to help each other Patti, not tear each other down. Simple mistake, no problem!!

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,773 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: plate lunch.

If you go to Google and put the words Plate Lunch in the search, photos pop up showing some of the standard varieties. suze

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: plate lunch.

If you venture out of Waikiki, there are plate lunch places on just about every corner of Honolulu!!