We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

My dad - a WWII veteran from pacific theater - 87 yo - wants to try to visit HI this Jan with my mom. One of us kids (50's) would go too. Is there someone who can steer me to resources with specific advice for touring with elder folks and/or veterans of that era? This would be a BIG trip for them phsically and emotionally. I am hoping to go along and have done fair bit of travel - including with them - but this seems different. THANKS!!!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

Do you know about the Hale Koa? http://www.halekoa.com/splash.cfm If your dad plans on staying there, they probably will be able to give you a lot of guidance. My dad was a vetern too (Korea & Vietnam) & I wish you luck.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

I would contact the museums directly. That may be the best way to get help. I would also recommend the private tours lead by docents. We did one at the Pacific Aviation Museum, and it was great. I'm a former aeronautical engineer and a history nut and our guide was happy to talk to us all day long. We really enjoyed the experience.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

I would look into the "Home of the Brave" tour. They give a lot of veterans tours and have some unique arrangements with the DoD for their tours.

http://www.pearlharborhq.com/index.html

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

Just a note of caution, father is only eligible for Hale Koa if RETIRED military. If Retired, check early, as January is a very busy time at HK, as lots of older retired visit at that time (my DH and me included). January is usually one of the hotel filled times, right now in the economic downturn.

Would second going on "Home of the Brave Tour" as it will re-live 12-07-41. Only site that is missed on this tour would be USS Missouri, but you could take another day to visit that site after doing "Home of the Brave Tour."

Whatever you do, enjoy!!!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

The key is to get there before 6:30 so you get in the first few groups, then you get in and out easily. It is not a huge facility it is easy to get around, I would not recomment the sub tour or the Mo, ships are pretty hard to get around.

Good advice on the Hale Koa, if they are military type they will love the Hale Koa luau

6. Re: Planning VIsit to Pearl Harbor with WWII Era Parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 11:18