We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day rental cars

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
586 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
1 day rental cars

Hi, I need some suggestions for a 1 day rental. I need the least amount of struggle as I already highly dislike rental companies, but we (2 ladies) would like to have a rental to get to North Shore, Diamond Head, and other activities. Looking for a Friday rental if it makes any difference. Also, what is the earliest and latest we can pick up and drop off?

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day rental cars

First, great idea we take the tour every other year when we aren't combining a stay on the north shore with 3 or 4 nights in Waikiki...and it never gets old. With its many miles of ocean hugging roads, Oahu is our favorite of all the islands for a lazy drive. Second, you're right to be concerned with hours of operation; many offices close around 6 pm which puts you in the midst of heavy traffic.

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of Honolulu area car rental locations:

http://www.oahu.us/oahu_car_rental.htm

On years when we don't rent a car for the duration of the trip, we stay at Waikiki Shore (not too far from Hilton Hawaiian Village) and rent from Dollar lot #2 on the linked list. We're usually back by 7 or so, but I believe they stay open until at least 8. If you go with this idea, it's a good idea to sign up for what they now call "Dollar Express" ( https://www.dollar.com/Express/Enroll.aspx ). The lines can get quite long, but Express members have access to a window on the right hand end of the rental trailer. Also, you might want to check prices direct with Dollar's website and Discount Hawaii Car Rental ( http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/ ). If you request the specific Dollar outlet, they quite often can beat the Dollar direct price. In addition, on our stay this past February, I overheard several folks saying all the convertibles (highly recommended!) were gone, but we snagged one due to (guessing) DHCR's influence.

We've also rented from Hertz on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki and were able to return the car late, using a key drop box) at the Marriott (however, I seem to recall a thread awhile back saying the after hours return location had been moved to the Hyatt). Whether Dollar, Hertz or one of the other companies, the website usually has links to operating hours of local locations.

Couple of additional imo's: we always circle the Island in a counter clockwise location. easier getting off/on the road at most stops & saves the northwest shore for sunset time. A stop at Leonards Bakery for breakfast Malasadas, lunch at Ola in the Turtle Bay Resort (a must for us) with dinner at the Marriott Ko'Olina; either the informal Naupaka Terrace, snooty Azul or Roy's (if in the mood to put up with their dress codes) makes for a wonderful day.

P.S. If you haven't seen it, there is a ton of great info here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29222-c124540/Oahu:H…

Edited: 24 October 2011, 21:43
Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Shore
Waikiki Shore
738 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
Diamond Head Beach Hotel
152 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Leonard's Bakery
Leonard's Bakery
5,868 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,631 Reviews
Oahu, HI
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
586 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day rental cars

Thank you, that helps alot. I will check t all out as soon as I get home.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day rental cars

The Budget Location in Waikiki is at the Hyatt and they are open till at least 9pm. You can go through the site below they are cheaper than what Budget will quote you directly just pick a Waikiki pickup on website I think they are brand b on the website don't know why they went to letters they used to just put the company name.

www.hawaiidrive-o.com

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Quebec
Level Contributor
281 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day rental cars

Last time we were there, we used the Budget location in the Hyatt as well, and had a good experience. We like 1-day rentals because we can decide one day we don't feel like staying around Waikiki and just walk over to get a car, and bring it back at night so we don't have to pay for parking. SInce my regular car insurance covers rentals, the fee was very very reasonable. We will do it again for sure!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day rental cars

Not sure why you don't like rental car companies. If it revolves around slow service, you'd best be prepared to wait in line if you rent first thing in the morning when others also want to get on their way. I've rented a few times from a Waikiki location rather than the airport. The counters are of course smaller than the airport ones and may be staffed by only one person. You might not have any problem at all, but only 3 people in front of you may take some time. On the other hand, if you are a member of a particular rental car company (usually free to sign up on their web site), maybe you can reserve a car and pick up the keys without having to talk to the counter person. That system is routine at the airport, but I'm not sure at the smaller satellite locations.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Forest Park...
Level Contributor
367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day rental cars

I rent from the Enterprise on Seaside Ave. Here are their hours

Monday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Tuesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Wednesday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Thursday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Friday 7:30 am 6:00 pm

Saturday 8:00 am 5:00 pm

Sunday 8:00 am 5:00 pm

I try to get there as early as possible and have never had to wait for very long.

Dallas
Level Contributor
25,149 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day rental cars

I always rent a car for only the days we want to really use it while we are there from one of the agencies in Waikiki.

I do recommend that you plan this out pretty well and make reservations for the day or days you want to have it. I have seen some of the run out of cars if you wait too late. They can always be cancelled ahead of time if you decide not to use it.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
8. Re: 1 day rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:17