We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport travel time?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Airport travel time?

I did a search for this and found a mixture of answers so I am trying to fine tune my info. We will be staying at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach for 3 nights in March. That being said, will 4 hours be enough time with traffic to drive to the airport, return a rental car, and check in and catch a flight to Maui on Hawaiian Air? Thanks in advance for the info!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport travel time?

That should be plenty of time. This always will depend on traffic of course. Hawaiian Air suggests you be at the airport 90 min. before a flight. In normal traffic, it should only take you about a half an hour to get from Waikiki to the airport. When I fly to Maui, from the time I leave the house to the time I'm on a beach on Maui is a total of 3 hrs. This includes hotel check out's, returning rental car, and being at the airport in plenty of time.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport travel time?

4 hours in wayyy too much time for this. I would do 2 hours, but that would cause many travelers too much stress. You're good at 3 hours with time to spare.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport travel time?

Aloha,

I would go with 3 hours at the most-and more likely 2 1/2, unless you're going out during rush hour.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport travel time?

Thanks so much! I'm gonna go ahead and ask about our return trip from Maui to the airport since I recognize swmarket. :) We will be staying at the Aston Kaanapali Maui Villas. We will need to return a car at the airport and catch a Delta flight back to the states. What's the recommended drive time needed???

If I need to post this in another forum just tell me...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,041 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport travel time?

We have done the Reef to HNL many times. Of course it is all dependent on time of the day. But, we can get to HNL easily in half and hour, plus half an hour to do the paper work for returning the car. One hour total. Then you add on to that the amount of time you want to be early for your flight, one and a half hours is the normal for that. Total time would be two and a half hours.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport travel time?

Aloha,

No worries, Tracey-I can cover it here, don't **think** it's against any guidelines!

With OGG, it's easiest to drop one person (and kids, if traveling with them) and the luggage at the check in lane at OGG. Then the driver just drives on around to the rental car agencies' lots, and returns the car, and hops the shuttle back to check in.

It sounds a little confusing, but it's not once you have been to OGG and see how the area is laid out. This also works well (in reverse) for arrival. Some folk(s) stay and wait for luggage, the driver pops out to the shuttle and brings the car back. By the time the driver comes back with the car, the bags are there and you are ready to go!

From MKV, time will depend on your flight time. If you are on a red eye, allow about 2 1/2 to 3 hours total--the drive will be about 45 minutes, then dropping the bags, pax, etc and allowing time for the driver to get back. Security can be slow sometimes, though they have new machines so it's supposed to be faster.

If you are leaving in the early evening-rush hour out of Lahaina is around 5 PM. Allow an extra 30 minutes, just to not stress.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport travel time?

Thanks SW .. great info.. Also I read that if your leaving that side of the island for a flight some suggest going early and head closer to the airport in case of traffic?? we have 8pm flight we are dropping car off at 5pm but picking up dinner just before that to eat at airport.

Tracy.. when are you leaving? we too are staying at MKV in a few weeks time.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,941 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport travel time?

Aloha,

Yes, Palm, sometimes it's easiest-esp. if one has kids-to just pop over the Pali ahead and grab dinner, etc.

I usually rec that you drop your luggage, get it through Ag inspection and checked in, then drive off to have dinner nearby. Then all you have is your carry on stuff, which can be placed in the trunk well in advance of eating nearby.

That way, you can relax, avoid the lines later...and not be juggling food too!

You can usually check your bags about 4 hours ahead of your flight.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport travel time?

Great info; thanks so much. This is why I LOVE Tripadvisor!!! It has yet to fail me :)

Palm, we are not visiting until March. Santa is bring a Hawaiian vacation to the family this year. Our kids are both very involved in sports and school activities . Our oldest will be in high school next year. The days of taking trips during the school year and even spring and fall breaks will probably come to a halt next year. Unfortunately we will probably be limited to Summer vacations only.

10. Re: Airport travel time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:42