We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

I read about this kayak trip in 'Oahu Revealed' (pg 192) and really want to do it! It sounds amazingly beautiful.

Basically, we'd rent kayaks near Kailua Bay, put our kayaks in the water at the pier north of He'eia State Park, and paddle towards Kappa Island until we reach the "sunken island", where we'd relax on the beach for a bit before heading back.

Although the authors describe the ocean as typically being very calm here, it is a little over 2 miles to reach the sunken island, which sounds like a long way!

Does this sound like a do-able and safe trip to make? (although I realize there is some risk involved since it is the ocean of course) We are young and in good shape.

Thanks for any input

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Aloha,

Kaneohe Bay with its views of the Koolau mountains is a great place to kayak.

Kaneohe Bay is a protected bay, with an outer reef

Can be windy at times.

On the plus side you will paddle into the wind and return with the wind at your back.

Safe , fun and you might want to grab a bite at Heeia Pier when you are done.

honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/…

Have a great time,

Aloha

Edited: 22 December 2011, 17:17
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

The sunken island they speak of is nothing but a sand bar. Gorgeous area though but in the windward side. Lots of wind and chance for showers.

It's best to go with a guide of you've never kayaked in the ocean before. How are you going to transport the kayak from Kailua to Kaneohe?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Aloha,

This is Kapapa Island

hawaiiforvisitors.com/oahu/…kapapa-island.htm

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Thanks so much for the feedback! I think we are going to go for it! :)

We plan to do this during the last half of our trip when we have a car (to transport the kayaks).

I realize Kapapa Island is tiny--we mainly want to do this tour because of the calm waters in the bay and to hang out on the sand bar for a while--it looks beautiful.

Thanks again!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

That's cool jet, didn't even know that existed!! Sorry, whereisthebee, I'm going to have to go over there and check it out!!

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Just don't call it the sunken island! No one call it that. If you really like kayaking, try renting from Kailua Beach and paddling to the Mokulua Islands.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Aloha,

Kaneohe Sand Bar or the " Disappering Island" was called Ahu O Laka by the Hawaiian's.

A fun place that gets covered with the high tide.

Aloha

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Yep, make sure you check a tide chart before you go, or you may miss the "island".

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Good tip, I was wondering about how we'd know if the tide is high or low...where can we find a tide chart?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kane'ohe Bay kayaking

Here's one that should do, very easy to read...

www.hawaiitides.com/Mokuoloe/GetTide.asp

Depending upon the phone you have you might have access to tide charts there...I use mine regularly when we forget to check before we head out.