We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,445 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

We're down to about 60 days and I'm listening to a pack of the Hawaiian CD's we've collected over the past years, in traveling to the islands.

When I first started going to Hawaii 31 years ago, it was a lot of Don Ho and some tourist pop-stuff then. I remember my first trip to Hawaii, from SFO to HNL, we flew United and they played Hawaiian music during the whole trip. Got us in the mood.

I've been there 6 times since and don't remember the music on the plane being that inspiring. SO ---- I play it myself.

Playing "IZ -- Wonderful World" now. Got a stack of island music to go.

So, what music do YOU play, to put you in the islands.....before you even get there? I'm curious what inspires others in their travels to the islands. I love slack guitar, so that is next!

(Have to admit, being an Elvis fan, I love "Blue Hawaii" even though it's pure pop culture...LOL).

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

Definitely Kohala, Gabby Pahinui, Aloha Pumehana Serenaders, Iz, Jack Johnson and Jake Shimabakuro!

...and sometimes not just to put me in the islands but also to calm the end of a hard or difficult day or even to energise the cleaning spirit!

FYI - in '79, HA.NA.I.I.A. records released a long play disco version of Blue Hawaii by Bart Bascone. Very catchy (if you like disco tunes) and great for whipping up some energy.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

I too play IZ . his music is wonderful. I purchased one of his CD's last time I was there.

Blue Hawaii with Elvis, and Elvis' Aloha 73 concert DVD's are regular musts and I haven't even booked the flights yet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

I enjoyed the music in the new movie 'The Descendants' - perhaps the soundtrack from the movie?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,559 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

I wasn't a Don Ho fan until I got to know more about him.

I grew up with Gabby Pahinui, Aunty Genoa Keawe, Bill Lincoln at the Halekulani, the Sunday Manoa, the Beamer Brothers, Emma Veary also from the Halekulani.

Now it is Hapa, Amy Hanaiali'i Gillom, Kamaka Fernandez (see YouTube link below) and Holunape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwI8TMavCY

My go to sources are Mele.com and Cord International.

http://www.mele.com/

www.cordinternational.com/bill_lincoln.htm

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

In addition to the many fine artists mentioned here, Eddie Kamae, Keali'i Reichel, Mark Ho'omalu, Raiatea Helm, Keola Beamer & a lot more

Best place to listen to Hawaiian music on line?

http://www.hawaiianrainbow.com/

To provide support to a Hawaiian business, I usually try to buy CDs from: http://www.mele.com/

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,610 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

If you happen to be flying Hawaiian Air actually they have several very good audio stations in their selection featuring Hawaiian and other beach-themed music! I always listen to that on the plane ride over, plus watching their 'TV' programs about the islands. suze

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

ahhhhhh Hapa

and of course Iz

LA
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

I listen to the old original Hui Ohana - Hui Ohana CD on my Ipod when the flight to Hawaii begins. It was the first Hawaiian CD I ever bought and one of the very best , in my opinion.

Then I listen to Amy Hanailail' Gilliom- especially Amy and Willie Live CD because it makes me laugh and think of the fun times ahead. Then she sings Palehua and I get so full of light and joy with that beautiful song.

Then I might go to Hapa and some Keali'i Reichel because our hula halau danced to several of their songs......

And then I'll go to Keola Beamer's - Wooden Boat for it's sweet love songs.

All are available on www.mele.com Its' a wonderful source for all kinds of Hawaiian music.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

Malie`s Song / Hawaiian Lullaby Keali`i Reichel

Kawaipunahele Keali`i Reichel

Hanohano Ka Lei Pikake Keali`i Reichel

E Ho`i I Ka PIli Keali`i Reichel

Kauanoeanuhea Keali`i Reichel

Pua Mikinolia Keali`i Reichel

Lei Hali`a Keali`i Reichel

Kananaka Keali`i Reichel

Mele a Ka Pu`uwai Keali`i Reichel

Hanohano `O Maui Keali`i Reichel

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
16,445 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian Music --- which CD's inspire your travel?

Great ideas ---- what a range. I remember the Beamers were playing in Waikiki during our first trip. Jake was playing in Maui when we were there in 2005. Can't find my Jake CD. Will have to try a number of these.

Thanks for the mele link. Will explore. We're flying United (unfortunately, but our Continental mileage got transferred) so will see what type of music they have these days.

"The Descendants" ---- sounds like another good reason to see it, in addition to George Clooney. ;=))

Edited: 29 December 2011, 20:13