We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

We are going to be in Oahu from March 26-30 and need a budget hotel to stay at. We are going to be booking a package with West Jet Vacations and I have narrowed it down to these from the ones that they offer:

Aqua Aloha Surf & Spa

Aqua Palms & Spa

Aqua Waikiki Pearl

Park Shore Waikiki

Ohana Waikiki West

I am hoping to get afvice on which hotel is better to stay at in terms of location and price. We do not plan on spending time at the hotel-just to sleep and shower and so forth. Parking is not an issue as we plan on taking the bus and renting a car for a day at a time.

As of now I am leaning towards the Aqua Palm & Spa as it has the free IHop breakfast and is located near Bus stops and the rental car places from what I have read on the reviews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Hi Nicole,

I dont get there til late Feb but we are staying at the Aqua Aloha Surf and Spa.

this one, the Pearl and Ohana Waikiki West all seem to be fairly central and are on streets that run off Kuhio Ave where the buses run (from advice from this forum).

The Palms is situated near the Hilton Hawaiian Village at one end of Waikiki and the Park Shore is at the other end near the zoo.

i guess what you want to consider is how far do you want to walk to restaurants for dinner?

We also liked the free internet that the Aqua properties offer & if we can't do a hotel on the beach - at least we are still on the water with the canal.

We haven't gone for the standard room but upgraded it.

i would work out what you can live with and what you cant, read through the reviews and check the hotels websites - keep in mind the pictures on the websites will always be of the best rooms.

Good luck and enjoy your stay - denni

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Nicole,

I would highly suggest viewing this map.

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

The ohana west and bamboo are both in great section. the walk from either of them is very short to the beach.

I havent stayed in either but have checked them out in the past.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Out of your list I would say the Parkshore it is closest to the beach very close in fact.

Next would be Ohana West.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

The Aqua Palms is an awful location, it is one reason they have to do extra things. It sits on Kalakaua Ave, the busiest street in Waikiki right at the entrance of Waikiki and it sits behind several big hotels, the Illikai and Hilton Hawaiian Village.

The Park Shore would be my first choice, it has one of the better locations because although it too is on Kalakaua, it is the opposite end of Waikiki so the traffic has thinned by then and across the street is a huge park. You have unobstructed views of the ocean and Diamond Head.

The Ohana and Aqua Pearl are virtually the same location and it is pretty central, but I would lean to the Ohana West based on its reputation.

Use this link to look at the hotels.

http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

I like the location of the park shore and it looks great from the outside, never stayed there but figured out why it is a budget hotel.

I like that end of waikiki better, a lot more tropical

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Park Shore, we’ve stayed there 4 times now and will stay there again. It is a “budget” hotel, but perfect to shower and sleep. Let me know if you have any questions about, I am a regular.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Since price wise the waikiki circle is the same as the ones you have listed why not select that one? it puts you in the heart of it all and is a good one.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

I don't know those particular chains but agree with the advice to check a map. And pick for the best location rather than by ammenities. Do they all have pools?

suze

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

I like to use Google Street View in choosing a hotel, too. You can see the hotel from the street, and "walk" from the hotel to the beach. Very helpful when used in combination with the map and aerial views suggested above.

Edited: 30 December 2011, 17:40
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Hotels-Need help picking one

Park Shore! it is across the street from the beach. I know many people who stay here and are very happy with it.