We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pearl harbor

connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
pearl harbor

We are going to be in Waikii the week of July 9. My mom is going to be 80 and this trip is a gift to her. She has her heart set on visiting Pearl Harbor and I know we need to be there very early to get a ticket but can anyone tell me if one day is better than another? I expect a long line but hope one day may be less of a wait.

Thanks

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,683 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pearl harbor

Avoid weekends and the earlier in the day the better.

If you want it to be really special for it, I'd book the Home of the Brave tour, see the link below.

http://www.pearlharborhq.com/faqs.html

connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pearl harbor

Thanks!

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pearl harbor

We went on the HOTB tour in February '12 while in HI for over a month. It was the best tour and the best money we spent on anything on Oahu and Maui!

The only downside is that you are picked up very early at your hotel or condo, but "you can sleep when you are dead"!!! Because of the early arrival at P.H. (7 a.m.) and your guide (try to get "Olaf") gets the necessary tickets, you will be on the 1st or 2nd boat to go to the AZ memorial. When you look at the website for HOTB tours, you will see what the itinerary is after that......(www.PearlHarborHQ.com)

We did take a day later on to see the Bowfin, Missouri, and Air Museum, but your grandmother may be more interested in the AZ memorial and the (free) exhibits in the beautiful and much expanded visitors' center which can be done with HOTB. I really didn't think (even after reading the various postings about HOTB tour!) that I would be that into it...but I was fascinated, and learned so much, and am so glad that I went along with my "DH." As long as your grandmother is relatively mobile and hears pretty well, she will be just fine! (Of course, she may be younger than I am!!!) Hope this helps and that she has a wonderful, memorable time!!

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pearl harbor

You can reserve tickets for USS Arizona Memorial online or phone reservations now.

So no more standing in line for tickets unless you want to.

And you can reserve them for most any time of the day.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k510895…

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: pearl harbor

Please take some time and read down through the Oahu Forum ... say for the past 6 weeks. Some very, very helpful threads on Pearl Harbor.

It's only very recently that visitors can book their time slot for the Arizona on-line. Really cuts down on the lines.

have a great trip.

July is high season for travelers ... and I would avoid July 4th (and thereabouts) for your Pearl Harbor trip.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
57,708 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pearl harbor

OLD thread............revived for a 'review'.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: pearl harbor

Nice catch, swmarket! I hope the OP checks in ... given that the ticket process has changed.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pearl harbor

Yes, reservations can be made through the national park service(nps) website for a $2.50 per ticket fee. However they aren't booking that far in advance yet. I've tried booking tickets for mid June and they're not available yet. They still want you to arrive 1 hour before your tour begins to pick up your tickets.

Edited: 18 March 2012, 02:57
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pearl harbor

The fee for ticket processing is 1.50 per ticket, not 2.50. You need to get there an hour before your tour time or they will give those tickets to those who walk in. In the summer months it will be wise to still get there pretty early as the parking fills up fast.

10. Re: pearl harbor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:23