We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers, where to stay?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Knox, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
First timers, where to stay?

We (wife, myself, and 8 yr old daughter) are going to Oahu in June for 7 days. Coming in from Iowa. We have done some research on accommodations. Here is the four we have narrowed it to that are close to the same price range (I think):

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Waikiki Circle

Hilton Hawaiian Village

Hotel Renew

I know that this is quite a range of options, we are looking for the best value in a hotel with concerns for amenities. Pool is not a huge thing (so I know that Circle, and Renew don't have them).

We would like to be near the beach (an ocean view would be nice, but not imperative). We aren't fussy about restaurants etc. If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,412 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers, where to stay?

With an 8 year old I'd go with HHV or the Outrigger Reef (instead of Outrigger Waikiki), for locations right ON the beach and beautiful Hawaiian-style surroundings and property (and pool(s), I know you said it doesn't matter, but are you sure about that? :)

suze

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers, where to stay?

I would pick Outrigger on the Beach, Hilton would be ok, too big, too noisy. waikik Circle would be another option.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers, where to stay?

In order I'd go with the Outrigger WB (but I would also consider the Outrigger Reef instead), HHV, because of your daughter's age, the wildlife would charm her and the Waikiki Circle.

Instead of the Hotel Renw I'd look at the Park Shore and Queen Kapiolani.

Use this link to look at the hotels.

http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/oahaerials.html

Fort Knox, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers, where to stay?

We would like a pool, but it's not a huge deal breaker. Being from Iowa, our idea of a beach is a sandbar on the Mississppi river, so we were thinking we would spend quite a bit of time at the beach. My daughter especially is looking forward to the beach very much.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers, where to stay?

I'd skip the Renew most rooms do not have a lanai that is a dealbreaker for us and also the Circle while I think the location is excellent the rooms are tiny especially for 3 people even if 1 is a child.

Either Outrigger would be good.

The thing that would put me off on the HHV is it's a huge resort over 1000 rooms I think. We are not into big resorts but plenty people are.

I also second Scott's reccomendation on the Queen Kapiolani it was renovated not long ago is right across the street from the beach has a nice pool deck and good rates. Park Shore is in same location.

Fort Knox, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers, where to stay?

Thanks so far for everyones help. If there is any other advice that would be great. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers, where to stay?

Outrigger Waikiki Beach will be undergoing renovations that will last thru June. The Outrigger Reef is already renovated.

Fort Knox, Kentucky
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers, where to stay?

Differences between the Outrigger Reef or the Beach?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers, where to stay?

krampuppy - big difference in location and placement and views of the beach and the water. Also no view of the beach from the pool at the Outrigger Reef as it is in an internal courtyard. Outrigger Waikiki pool is right on the beach with lots of places to sit around the pool, have a fuity tropical drink, and enjoy all the beauty and activity onthe beach.

All that said, the pool is scheduled for demo and construction and is not supposed to be completed by the time you are going, and, I expect it will be late as opposed to early.

Another possible option for a similar view and placement is the Moana. It will be a higher price that either of the Outriggers but is a Hawaiian classic and beautiful hotel.

I personally would highly recommend that you not go to the Waikiki Circle. I just can't convince myself that I would enjoy those accomodations at all. But, lots of people love it for a low price and great view.

Good luck and have fun.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers, where to stay?

The Outrigger Reef and Waikiki Beach are 800 yards, or less than a half mile apart and each is at one end of the Royal Hawaiian Center so it isn't like one has a huge advantage of being central.

What we do like about the Reef over the WB is that the Reef is no on the main drag, Kalakaua Ave, like the WB is. The reef is in a very quiet area with very little traffic because the street they are on is very short.

Look at both locations in Google Maps, Bing Maps Birds Eye View and Google Street View.

http://g.co/maps/zc8kf

http://g.co/maps/sgj46