We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Just did the NCL cruise and rented from Thrifty on each island. On Maui, Hawaii and Kauai the service was excellent and we actually got the car we reserved (mid-size) on Kauai. On Maui, they tried to give us a 2-door Jeep so I paid extra for a convertible. On Hawaii, they gave us a Ford Crown Victoria gas guzzler.

Unfortunately, we rented from Thrifty on Oahu also. First, they don't run a regular shuttle service from the Waikiki site to the pier so you have to call to get picked up. After multiple calls and frustration, we finally connected with the shuttle at the pier, but by the time we got our car, it was two hours after my first call. Once they assigned us a car (a 4-door Jeep, which apparently is a mid-size), we discovered they don't refuel the cars on Waikiki. The agent told me the car had 3/8 of a tank (closer to 1/4) and to bring it back with 3/8 of a tank. We also were told the Waikiki shuttle doesn't go to the airport, only to the pier so there would be a $30 drop-off charge at the airport. We turned the car in early with 1/2 tank of gas (no credit given for extra gas) and took a private shuttle to the airport for $12 per person. Very disappointing experience overall and while I would rent from Thrifty on the other islands, never again on Waikiki.

1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 March 2012, 19:11
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Visited Hawaii for the first time and one of the first people I dealt with we're the very unfriendly people of the Thrifty/Dollar car rental on Waikiki. I had a mid size car reserved for 5 days. When I went to pick it up, I was given a jeep compass. When I walked around it I noticed it had a long deep gouge running the length of the vehicle on the passenger side. It also had numerous other small dents and scrapes. I went back and had to get back in line again to speak to someone about it. The man I spoke to then told me that he didn't have any other vehicles in that category. I told him I didn't feel comfortable taking such a beat up vehicle with no documentation of the damages. He said there is a small sticker on the major damage which means it has been documented.

I told him that I don't have a copy of the documentation and don't want to run into trouble when I return the vehicle. All I asked was for him to write down on my rental agreement the damages that were present. He raised his voice and told me that they don't do that and that I'm wasting his time. Upon my insistence, he walks with me and my 9 year old daughter to the car, the whole time complaining and making us both very uncomfortable.

Island hospitality! What a joke! Avoid tthese guys If possible. There are many other choices. They obviously don't care about repeat business.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,810 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Yikes, we're renting from Thrifty in a few weeks! I rent from them a lot, everywhere, am Blue Chip, and have never had problems before. I got a fantastic deal (which has now almost doubled since I booked it) so I'm not going to switch to anyone else. I do NOT want a Jeep or a convertible, just a regular old compact (Ford Focus or similar accoding to their website).

Sounds like you rented from an off-site location, and I've done that before, and yes it's true you have to approximate the gas level when you return it (they don't have on-site gas pumps like they do at the airport locations), but I'm not happy to hear about the service issues.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

We rented a car on two separate days for the day from the Waikiki Thrifty & had no problem with the service & thought it was comparable to other car rental places. It's a busy location & there is sometimes a bit of a wait. On the second day, we got a car with a broken radio & they switched cars for us with no problem.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Sorry that you had such a bad experience. I hope it didn't bring too much of a damper on your visit.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

I rented from the Thrifty right next to the Honolulu Airport and didn't have a problem.

Did you verify all the shuttle stuff prior to arriving at the Oahu location? If not, I'm not sure you can blame them on the Waikiki-to-Airport shuttle. Most places that are off-site tend to be cheaper than the Airport location, so it would make sense they wouldn't offer a complimentary shuttle service from the airport to the Waikiki location. If that's the case, people wouldn't rent from the airport (especially with all those airport taxes/fees).

Too bad that last leg of your rental wasn't as you liked -- that's never fun.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 01:42
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Our legislature made sure that you will pay the same taxes and fees off an airport site as you do on one!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

MsFuzz: Ah! That is a good legislature!! I wish we had that in Texas!

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

Just returned home from my trip to Hawaii. I rented from National Car at the airport in Kona for 5 days and from the Avis in South Kihei on Maui for 5 days. What a difference dealing with pleasant and professional agents. The Chevy Malibu from Kona only had 1500 miles on it and ran beautifully. I finally got a Jeep Wrangler for the kids in Maui from Avis. When I walked up to the booth to return the vehicle, the lady who greeted me addressed me by name. I was so surprised (pleasantly) that I asked her how she knew who I was. She informed me that it was because I was the only one returning a Jeep that afternoon and she saw me driving up. Now that's customer service! I then asked her if I could keep the vehicle for 1 night longer since we were going out for dinner that night. She advised me that since she had given me the weekly rate which was less than renting it daily, it wasn't an issue to keep the vehicle longer. As I had to be at the airport before their office was open the next morning, she told me to park the Jeep and put the keys in a safe location. I was very happy with how they accomodated the little changes I had to make along the way. All in all, the finish to my rental car experience in Hawaii was so much better than the way it started. It does reinforce to me though how bad the customer service was at the Thrifty in Waikiki when compared to all the other places I subsequently visited.

10. Re: Thrifty Car Rental Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2013, 10:17