We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Hi,

My parents are travelling to stay in Honolulu for a week in April and I am looking to organise them a day rental of a convertible (mustang, whatever etc)...

I know that we need to organise to get the insurance as part of the rental, so am hoping those 'in the know' can tell me if the following includes the insurance they will require or if there is 'extra' that they will need to pay..

I have got a quote from carrentalhawaii.com which shows as $71 for the day through Alomo including the following insurance:

- CDW - Collision Damage Waiver (full comprehensive and vehicle theft insurance with no excess)

- EP - Extended Protection (increased third-party liability insurance coverage up to 1 million USD)

so, will that cover them in the case of problems or is there additional insurance that is recommended/required, and if so what does it cost $?

Thanks for any tips

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Hi Silent

I dont have an answer for you but am hoping someone in the know will respond as I have read the great thread on hiring cars/insurance for Aussies and am still a little confused on the insurance thing.

2. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2016, 04:30
australia
Level Contributor
307 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

I recently was in the same boat.there is another insurance which is the one where if you hit someone or something it's covered.public liability? I can't remember.anyway what I did was I went to www.national.com.au the national car hire website but make sure it's the AU site and put in Hawaii and dates etc and the quote you get includes all the insurances we Aussies need and usually no excess.in my research I remember seeing some companies that had the CDW also had a very small clause that only covered up to a certain figure $1000 or so.i had no issues with national they were fantastic.they were also cheaper than if I booked with carrental Hawaii because I would have had to add insurances ontop.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Anyone else have any input...

The insurance part is a tad confusing and I don't want them to get hit up for extra $ at the rental counter for no reason...

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Bob, because of the confusion regarding what's covered or not, I usually tell them to max me out with insurance. I want to be covered to the extent of:

Glancing off a whale, running over a baby monk seal, chipping Duke's statue, coming to rest with the nearside front wheel on the groin of a local cop, then dropping the keys in his screaming mouth and catching the next plane out'a there!

In Easter '10, Budget wanted $185 for a Mustang convertible for a day with the insurance max'd out.

I went back to the hotel and got discounthawaiicarrental.com to quote on a Mustang softop. They came back with a $59 + insurance quote through Alamo. They picked me up from my hotel FOC and dropped me to their centre opposite Red Lobster. The final price, with insurance and a prepaid tank of fuel on special, was $115.

It cost me more than that for a Hyundai Getz (urgh) from Coolangatta airport last year.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

I did a quote trough them and the quoted a thrifty price (about $64) and then said to add the insurance $ mentioned on their site...

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

Check with your aussie brokers.

I know here in Canada we can add a section 27 Endorsement and be covered anywhere.

Plus it costs WAY WAY WAY less than the agencies insurance.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 22:21
NW Arkansas
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

You might want to check with you insurace company at home.. I just did and mine covers all the insurance needed .. no need to pay the rental car insurace fees.Just pay the rental fee and wave the rest ..But check with you personal insurance office 1st..

Vancouver
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

We never buy the extra insurance as our credit card offers that as an included benefit. I would suggest calling them as I wouldn't be surprised if you were already covered as well.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental with insurance, am i missing anything?

From America, you're covered. From Australia? Not really.

Camdenmum kicked off a collective post about Aussie insuring cars in Hawaii, which is very informative. Check it out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k438359…