We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki Accommodation

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki Accommodation

Left it a bit late I think, The Outrigger on the Beach is undergoing renovations and the Outrigger on the Reef is not offering any specials. Big sigh here. I am looking for a nice hotel with free wi-fi in the rooms as my husband works even when we are on holidays. We're from Australia, so not used to driving on your side of the road and generally get the bus or a taxi wherever we need to go. Going last week in March and first week of April. HELP!!!!!!!!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

Budget?

There's plenty of hotels in the immediate area between Fort Derussy and the zoo. This distance is only about 1.5km, so you wouldn't need a car to get around the central Waikiki area. You'd have to check the individual hotels for wheter they offer free wi-fi, but there's alway McDonalds!

Here's a link to a great map of Waikiki hotels that Dusty posted a little while back. It may help. www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Although the Waikiki Beach sand restoration project is listed to only last 2 months, I'd bargain on it dragging on a bit and possibly overlapping your trip time. Apparently, it's between the cop shop and the laneway (oops, beach) between the Sheraton and Halekulani. If you avoid accommodation in that bordered beach area, it sounds like you'll miss the "action".

Should you find a hotel that fits the bill, repost a question on it's suitability and I'm sure you'll get some good feedback.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

The Outrigger Reef is very good and has free wifi, have you tried the Outrigger website for specials or called the hotel directly?

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

Take a look at the Hyatt. Right across the street from a very nice section of the beach. Super location. The Moana Surfrider is also a good choice if you get a tower room as is the Royal Hawaiian but they may be over budget.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

I think you'll do better if, instead of requiring free WiFi, you think in terms of "I can spend X a night including WiFi."

Then a whole host of nice places opens up to you.

If you have your sights set on Outrigger Reef, keep shopping. At the California branch of the American Automobile Assn.'s website, I recently booked Outrigger Reef for $159 a night in late February. (The price there has since gone up to $169.)

Though it's possible that's a members-only deal, I saw no indication of that anywhere on the site or in the booking confirmation e-mail. Nor did the site ask for my AAA member number when I booked. (It's possible I'll have to present it on check-in, though. I'm not sure. )

Also try the hotel booking option on major airlines' websites. They often have deals you can't find anywhere else.

Re Hyatt: I don't know whether they have free WiFi, but rates there have gone down into the $170s recently for late Februray. So if WiFi there is $15 a night, that hotel could be a great option in your price range.

Northern California...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

There are also many many Starbucks in the area that offer free wifi so don't feel constrained by a hotel's lack of free wifi if they have one on the ground floor.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,682 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

I'm not sure what you mean by "nice hotel" if the Outrigger Reef is out of your price range (without discounts). It's easier for people to recommend if you give us your budget. Is free wifi your only must-have?

Also where are you checking? As suggested by someone already, have you emailed or called the hotels directly?

I'd check Hyatt, Outrigger Reef, Queen Kapiolani, The Breakers, Waikiki Sand Villa for starters (listed by decending price point).

suze

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

Wow, thanks EVERYONE, I hadn't expected so much help so quickly. You've all given me something more to think about and look for. Don't mind paying $10 a day for wi-fi, but we once had an ugly experience with $7 an HOUR for wi-fi, so I was a bit cautious about that.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

Were you on a cruiseship lanasyndney? My cell phone serves as a hot spot for wi-fi now so we avoid the hassles.

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

Haven't done the cruise ship thing yet. My husband gets a little seasick and once you're on, that's it. I understand the stabilisers are much better than they used to be but we haven't been game to try it. Perhaps a 3 day cruise first to see if he gets his sea legs before we opt for a long one. We couldn't use our phones as hot spots because our phone plans are too expensive.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki Accommodation

wow Thank you for the Map. I was wondering where certain hotels really are located. Very Helpful.