We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

My husband and I are torn - I have been to Hawaii, he has not. Neither of us have been to Western Caribbean which would go to Haiti, Jamacia and Mexico, its on the Allure of the Seas which is biggest, best ship in RC line of ships.

Both trips will come out money wise the same - so which is the more fullfilling trip, the best for the money?

We have done 5 cruises before just not this route.

What would you choose?

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

A cruise around Hawaii will only give you a very quick look at each of the islands. If your intent is to get ideas for a future trip or if your the type of traveler that just want a quick look-see then a cruise around the islands can be nice.

However, the NCL ships are not rated as nicely as the RCCL and many people on these boards have been unhappy with the service, food, entertainment, etc. I'd go to cruise critic and read some reviews. If the ship doesn't matter and you look at it as just a floating hotel then NCL is probably okay. If your looking for outstanding service, etc than you may be dissappointed. If you do come for the cruise, I'd plan on at least 2 weeks. One on the ship and then another on Oahu to see some of what's available.

I've never cruised Hawaii just visited many times but have done the Western Carib (Celebrity/RCCL). Hawaii is a much better destination (IMHO) but the cruise experience itself might be less than you want on NCL. The other choice of cource is to take Celebrity from Ensenada or San Diego to HNL or other way around but you'll spend 5 days at sea when you could be seeing another island.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

If you want a cruise - the the Caribbean would be handy for you and possibly cheaper than Hawaii. But if you really want to share Hawaii with him ... you know there is no substition! Just don't cruise Hawaii.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

Just do Hawaii together.

You know this is probably his last vacation.

Visit the island and spend some quality time together exploring.

Like you said your old hat at the cruise game

Bristol, Virginia
Level Contributor
492 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

No, I didnt mean cruise Hawaii, I meant either a trip to Hawaii (land trip) or either a CRUISE to the Western Caribbean.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

Land trip Hawaii

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

I personally think it is apples to oranges....two completely different trips, you did 5 cruises, don't over think it, fly to Hawaii!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

The 2 are very different experiences. On a cruise you barely have time to scratch the surface of a port in a day while Hawaii (as most of us recommends) is an immersion -- you stay on 1 island multiple days and explore.

What you find fulfilling is not necessarily the same for others. So what is it you want to get out of your vacation?

Edited: 26 January 2012, 21:06
Canada
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

Hawaii is a terrific destination. A visit to any one of the Islands is likely to be a hit for the two of you. As you mention that you have been to Oahu in the past....perhaps another island to discover together.

In your other thread , you allude to trying to keeping the trip within a certain budget.....lots of ways to accomplish that. A week on Kauai can be very special...yet not too large an area to cover in a week's time. It is really a special locale.

Here is a quiz that may a help in determining which island is a good fit for you

www.hawaiigaga.com/best-hawaiian-island.aspx

I must say that Post #3 line 2 contains a rather curious/ insensitive statement.

Safe travels to you both.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

It wouldn't be a difficult decision for me but I haven't ever been on a cruise and have no desire to do one. I like staying in the place I visit and being able to explore it and really see it not just as a day trip.

Hawaii is amazing and something totally new for you to visit I know you said you haven't been to the Western Carribean but you have been to the Carribean right since you've done 5 cruises already.

Most of us that participate on this forum and the othe rHawaii ones I'm sure am biased LOL so in the long run you will have to decide between the two.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,618 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you do Hawaii or Western Caribbean cruise for trip?

Come to HAWAII! DH and I got off to a bad start cruising, but went on to enjoy about a dozen. If we took the cruise you mention we would be ON that ship start to finish -- none of those ports for us! I love a good ship enough to do that, but not DH.

I love ships. I was spoiled for life by sailing on the Ile de France to Europe when I was a young teen. When we were newlyweds I begged my DH to at least *try* cruising. (I had no idea that all ships were not elegant.) Our first cruise did not begin well. The ship (NCL, I believe, the Starward or similar name) was primarily plastic, a big let-down, but the real shock was the first port: Haiti. Lord have mercy on those poor people. Here came healthy, wealthy Americans amongst people with *nothing* -- not clothing, not shelter, not food. It was beyond my imaginings of 'Third World'. It made Jamaica look *good*. As for Mexico...we jave been to ports there twice while on Panama Canal cruises; no wish to return.

We 'discovered' Hawaii over 30 years ago and have spent two to four weeks on each of the four major islands. You can't beat a tropical paradise that's also a State. Come. We'll help you plan!