We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Hi Guys,

Im heading back to Waikiki this week and thought I'd share and get some new ideas things to do which may not be on the classic 'to-do list' around Waikiki.

Last trip I did with my lovely wife, we were heading over to the Marina so that we could get on one of those para-sailing adventures, which was in itself a ot of fun.

The thing I remember most though was 'The Trolley' ride to and from the marina, which takes you half way around the city on it's way, clanging it's bell from time to time... langwardly making it's way along the Ala Wai Canal, across McCully Street, past the Ala Moana Shopping Centre ... along the coast-side towards the west of the city and into the Marina.

I remember the soft Hawaiian breeze mixed with the scent of wild flowers through the huge polished timber windows and the smiling driver..I rememeber lifting my feet, free of my flip-flops (we call them thongs in Australia), and out of the window slghtly so they could feel that gorgeous breeze. I sat back, totally relaxed and utterly surrendered to that time and place. It was more special, that trolley ride, than many other things I'd done in a 10 day trip full of activity.

I'm heading back tomorrow, alone this time, and I intend to grab a good book, get on that trolley and (if they allow it) just sit there in the afternoon, reading my book whilst trying not to be distracted by all of the beautiful sights and smells.

I'd love to hear recommendations for experiences you've had which cost you nothing yet made your holiday special.

Thanks in advance!

Royal Star Hawaii Deluxe Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Private Tours
Oahu Private Tours
Eco Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Escape Waikiki Tours
Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
E Noa Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,524 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Sitting at Waimea Bay a couple of weeks ago, early in the morning, just a few people around. Watching the waves and then out on the horizon, whales blowing and breaching. The sound of quiet solitude.

Welcome back brazen!!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Sitting at Kailua Beach- a little bit down from where the official beach park is. Listening to the waves, watching the kids boggie board, watching kite surfers, and watching folks frolicking with their dogs (it's a very dog friendly beach.) Not crowded, either!

The views of the Koolaus and the "Mokes" and Kaneohe are just unparalleled. The sand is as soft as butter.

I had a book but I just couldn't read it because my senses were already fully activated.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Funny our experience on the Trolley was the complete opposite: expensive, crowded, hot and slow. Glad you had a better time.

Early morning right after sunrise. Hit Starbucks and then the beach or the pier.

That magical time between sunset and darkness - warm and beautiful.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Aloha,

Maybe this time you can tour on the Aloha Bus

http://www.alohabus.com/

Have a great time,

Aloha

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

I don't know about jet83's experience but I wonder if the Aloha Bus will still be in business this time last year. Every time we saw them - every time during our month-long stay at Christmas - they were almost empty. The price may be too high. Love the concept though.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Aloha,

Tell me Alias MK why would I ride the Aloha Bus.

But I guess you have been here once or twice.

Aloha

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

It was cool that the Aloha Bus had a special night-time route to see the Christmas lights. Kids and adults would love it. Open air on top sounds wonderful. I hope they really catch on. Keep more cars off the streets.

Level Contributor
71 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

jet 83: Aloha,

The Aloha Bus looks great. It seems to have an even more extensive route system than the trolley! It's pricier, but it also stops by my hotel, and looks new and fun, too.

Thanks for the tip - I had never heard of it before.

Aloha

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Hey msfuzz,

Are you living on the North Shore now?

I'll be there for New Year's Eve by the way. Let me know if you want to catch up; Ive put out the call here:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k598…

Anybody who wants to meet at Duke's on NYE let us know!

Serge.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Trolley- a tourist attraction unto itself

Serge - start a new post/thread on the Oahu Forum. This one is very old and folks will respond to the original question or totally ignore it.

Don't hijack other discussions. :o(