We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone on the beach?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Alone on the beach?

Just wondering how worried I should be about leaving a towel or chair alone to go into the water. I'll be alone this trip and don't plan on leaving a purse... But need somewhere to stash a room key.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone on the beach?

One thing came to mind: park yourself near one of the lifeguard stands. I have seen the same woman (alone) several times sunning by one of the lifeguard stands.

Not sure if the thought will help, but it is something to consider.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
381 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone on the beach?

I went a few times on my own on my last trip and, like you, was less worried about leaving cash lying around (although I always left a couple dollars in my bag for a drink on the way back!) but more worried about the room key. I bought one of those waterproof boxes you can put around your neck - might not look the coolest, but at least you can relax in the sea without having to keep checking the beach for your stuff! Word of warning though, you need to rinse it after each use, as the salt from the sea water dries on the seal and makes it less waterproof (as I realised on my last visit when I was going to pick up breakfast on the way back and had a very soggy $20 note!!!!)

sydney
Level Contributor
344 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone on the beach?

leave the room key at the key drop at the front desk ? But yes its relatively safe on Waikiki beach w ehave left money , bags , cameras etc with no drama's but be sensible with what you take

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alone on the beach?

if by some chance someone steals you room key, they will give you another one, just do not bring anything valuable. I bring a key and $5 in case I want a coke, and have cheap flip flops and glasses

Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alone on the beach?

I didn't realize hotels had key drops... Thank you! As for the waterproof boxes, would ABC stores have them? I've never seen them before. A friend suggested using a Ziplock bag and shoving it under my bathing suite.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,908 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alone on the beach?

Aquapac and Precision are two brands I use for waterproof cases. You can look them up on the Internet or buy them in Honolulu at Sports Authority.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alone on the beach?

Hi, my wife and I have been going to Waikiki for many years. (I have been smitten by the beauty of the Island). We would spend quite a bit of time on the beach and always park our chairs, towels etc by one of the lifeguard posts. We have got to know him over the years. Although it's not their duty to look after them, I know that he keeps an eye on them whilst we are in the water.

Have a great trip.

John.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alone on the beach?

ABC stores sell a cheap waterproof boxes. I've gone though a few and it's hit and miss as to whether they leak, but even if they do, it's usually just a little. OK for ID and case, base for car keys or cell phone.

I've had good luck with the Aquapac and a small Pelican box, both bought on-line. I've seen the Aquapacs in Waikiki at some of the surf shops.

9. Re: Alone on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:36