We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilikai condo rental

vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ilikai condo rental

We plan to attend a wedding in honolulu in late may,2012. This will be our (family of 4) first time to explore a condo rental and only for economic reason. Is anyone can offer some info of the Ilikai? Is there a difference between the marina bldg and the hotel bldg? I have seen several ads of this property, in different floors and the floor plan are pretty much the same except different ownership and differenet furniture. Some are nicer than the others and the rental fees are vary. Or there is other bldg nearby comparable or better than this one? Thanks in advance

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilikai condo rental

We enjoyed our recent stay at the Ilikai very much. We actually ended up with 2 different condos so we got a sense of how different each can be, but both were wonderful places to stay.

There is a big difference between the 2 buildings, though. We preferred the "hotel" building as it has a pool and a direct path to the Hilton lagoon and beach. The Marina building is a newer property and offers straight out views of the Marina and the ocean. It's a further walk to the beach although you are a little closer to Ala Moana.

THe original hotel building is an older property, which some folks don't like, but the facilities were fine, including a lovely open lobby area and a nice bar and grill where you can watch the sunset. The views will vary depending upon location; at one time, the Ilikai was the tallest hotel in Waikiki but now other buildings (particularly Hilton) have built around it and left some of the views a bit "filtered."

The one thing I would caution against is any room facing the city/mountains. Those would overlook Ala Moana Blvd. and would be very noisy. None of the condos I researched did that, though.

There are many sites where you can find condos for rent. We found ours through alohacondos.com, and rented 1530 and 1512. I liked their site because I could look at a calendar of availability for all of their condos at once, then click on each one that was open in our time frame and research the individual condo.

The use of a full kitchen is so nice with a family. Usually every condo also includes beach chairs and towels and other amenities that makes it easy for a family to enjoy their visit. If you have little ones, the furnishings at 1530 were a little older, but more comfortable, and it was stocked with an amazing amount of beach toys and such.

vancouver
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilikai condo rental

macjack

Thank you so very much. Yes indeed the Ilikai was the legend in the strip in the earlier days and for many years. Based on your comment, I like the view better and because our kids are much older, we doubt we have much time (the wedding) to lounge out in the pool often so the mariner bldg may be a better choice for us? Thanks for the noise warning. Does it matter if I try to choose a higher floor for the view or it helps to suppress any noise?

Again I appreciate your kind advise

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilikai condo rental

No, we had a pretty high floor and it was still loud. We still sat on the lanai, after all it is Hawaii :)

4. Re: Ilikai condo rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 10:21