We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

I took my time choosing a car rental, and now with the trip less than a month away - I think I've messed up. I've called the hotel concierge, and she quoted the same rates that Hertz is, which is 115 dollars a day. (She said they would book through Hertz since it's across the street.)

At this point, is that the best I can hope for if I don't want an airport rental? I've already got a great shuttle rate to and from the airport at only 20 dollars total.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

There are rental companies all over Waikiki (and probably elsewhere) offering rentals for well under $115 per day. I have no idea whether they have any ethics.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

try these guys - they come recommended by people here on TA - they are a booking agency & dont have the prettiest website but they send you the quote in 2 days - i have used them for our trip in late Feb

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

A concierge provides convenience and service for those of us willing to delegate travel searches and requests to others.

A concierge is not the source for economical shopping. It depends on your time available to do research and make your own bookings.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

And you are expected to tip the concierge for their assistance.

The concierge is there to provide services or access to events/restaurants/entertainment.

The concierge is not there to provide competitive pricing for you.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

What kind of car did you rent? It seems steep to me. Discount Hawaii rentals has already been mentioned. We reserved a mid sized car for 52.00 per day. The car could be a Charger, Chev Impala, or similar. I know their SUV prices were around 67 dollars a day. I'm not sure which, but one of the companies offers a shuttle to the airport to pick up the car. You can always call them direct and ask. Aloha

Edited: 04 February 2012, 16:32
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

Where are you staying? Who is this super cheap shuttle?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

Unless you need the room you don't need an SUV. For a couple, a compact car will do, will be cheaper to rent and will use less gas, which is expensive here.

Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

Thanks everybody. I have not rented yet - I guess I thought the concierge would be getting the best deal for me. I wasn't thinking about tipping based on cost of service. I wonder if that's why they are content with the more expensive Hertz location at the Marriott. It looks like I can save 50 dollars a day by walking down to the Hyatt to the Budget office.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,191 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

Try Priceline.

Bid $15/day. If they don't accept it, try $20/day. Then $25.

Waikiki location only.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is using your concierge a good way to get best prices?

How many days do you want a car? You don't really need one within Honolulu, and you'll pay to park.