We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

We are travelling t Oahu and I'm wondering if I should buy activities, like a Lua on for example expedia, or buy a Go Oahu, or just wait till we arive. I am wondering if anyone has used the Go Oahu cards and if theacitivites are close to Waikiki or do you need to get there on your own. Any advice prior to going in March would be appreciated.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

I like savontourshawaii.com

Their prices are excellent and include transportation for m ost.

If there is something that you MUST do and don't want to miss then I would book in advance.

Otherwise go and have fun!

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

You would have to get there on your own. You might want to look on-line for deals. Really depends on what you really want to see. Check out http://www.savontourshawaii.com/ I have found they have really good prices. If you want to go to Paradise Cove for your luau, then you will save about $20.00 through this company. Same for a tour of Pearl Harbour, although many will say just go on your own. That involves figuring out transportation, bus, taxi, rental car etc. We've opted to just go on the tour, less hassle. For Polynesian Cultural Center, you want to book direct with them. I found they have the best prices. You may find it a little cheaper somewhere else, but the if you want to stay and see the evening show Ha' Breath of Life, then book direct, as you get to pick your seats. Hope this helps a little Aloha

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

When are you traveling? Unless it's a super heavy tourism season, you should be able to book when you arrive. But if you want a particular day and time, especially for some restaurants, planning a month or two in advance isn't a bad idea.

The Go Card is mass advertizing, and you end up paying for it. I would skip it unless there is a high-priced activity with a substantial discount that you want.

Book the Polynesian Cultural Center directly with them and generally we book everything direct and skip the middle man. Pearl Harbor - what you are primarily paying for in a "tour" is a shuttle with narration. Nothing wrong with that, except that you can take the bus for $2.50. The Arizona and other Pearl Harbor tours are led by Pearl Harbor staff. You can (very soon) book a specific time for the Arizona and other Pearl Harbor sites on-line. Helps you maximize your time there ... not so iffy. This is a new service and there are other posts about it.

Make sure to read down through the Oahu forum because there are numerous posts about activities on Oahu.

One more thing: we'd highly recommend the guided tour of the Iolani Palace. Do book that one before you go. I don't know where you are staying, but your hotel will most likely have an activity desk/concierge who can assist you with reservations.

Edited: 04 February 2012, 18:10
Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

I like to have everything booked before hand. There is no guarantee that your activity will be availble if you wait. I also like to make sure I have the days and times I want. I am going to Kauai in June. I am Kayaking the Napali Coast (16 miles). I booked that for Thursday and a couple's massage for Friday morning. I am sure if I waited I could probably find a massage during the week, but maybe not on Friday morning when I am going to need it.

I find that half of the fun in planning. I would never go and not know what I am doing in advance. I have been to Hawaii several times, but still not as often as I would like. I would hate to miss something.

Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

That is great information. Thanks in advance. We haven't been before and I've looked at some of the "activities" on expedia and they are all quite pricey therefore if there is a better way to buy and save a bit then I'd like to do that. Is there anywhere in particular you'd recommend as a must see?

Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

That is great info. We are staying at the Aston Waikiki circle which is supposed to be a good location

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

You picked a nice location.

You will have lots of fun.

like previously mentioned check out www.savontourshawaii.com

If you dont plan on getting a rental car make sure you do a tour that takes you to the north shore.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

What do you like to do, ccr? I'm sure that Expedia is chock-full of money-making activities ($71 pp for a Pearl Harbor Tour!) ... but do you have a special interest we can help you with?

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
456 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

I'm an anal type A personality. I prefer to have everything planned and organized before I go instead of figuring it out when I get there and paying whatever. Many people bash the Go Oahu card but on our last trip we purchased two three day passes from Costco. When I sat and calculated all of the attractions we did with it like Luau, Iolani Palace, Kailua Kayaking, Bishop Museum, etc and we actually saved a lot of $$.

Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buy activities before going to Oahu or buy there

That is great to know. I would imagine our canadian card would work in the states? Ill check it out