We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary Pls

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary Pls

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 11&13 and have just booked a trip to Hawaii for late June early July 2012 and all very excited as we will be escaping a few weeks of winter.

We are planning to hire a car on arrival and stay somewhere on the Island of Oahu for the first 3 nights and after some reading the North Shore seems to be the popular choice so were looking at the Turtle Bay Resort as my husband loves golf and the kids love snorkeling.

We have then booked on the Pride of America for the 7 night cruise and spend the last 7 nights in Waikkiki doing some activities and shopping.

We are after some advice if Turtle Bay Resort is our best option to spend 3 nights and any recommendations on where to stay in Waikkiki?

Also should we booking tours and car hire prior to arriving in Hawaii as I would imagine July would be a busy time.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

YES hire the CAR NOW!

July will be busy

If a tour is a must do then book it in advance.

If not just do it as you go.

ENJOY

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

The North Shore is a popular choice for people who want an alternative to Waikiki. And the only resort there is Turtle Bay. (I've stayed there and I think it's nice for a three-night stay.)

Any reason you want to spend all 10 land nights on Oahu? Most people would want to find a way to squeeze in some Maui or Kauai time.

Assuming you're set on Oahu, I think your itinerary sounds good. The Turtle Bay experience will be very different from your Waikiki experience the following week. And there's much more going on in Waikiki than at the Turtle Bay Resort, so your time breakdown sounds ideal to me.

Re rent a car now? Yes. You can always cancel the reservation free of charge if your plans change (assuming those are the terms of your deal).

Re book tours now? Depends on how tight you like your schedule to be. Me, I prefer to have just one or two things booked, then just wing the rest of my trip, with lots of time for doing nothing at all.

Re where in Waikiki: There are really only 7ish public hotels right on the beach in Central Waikiki. People who can afford to say right on the beach (think $220ish to $440 per night for non-view rooms) usually stay at one of these: Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger Reef on the Beach, Halekulani, Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider. Plenty of others are just steps from the beach -- a distance that can sometimes save you a few $.

Assuming you want to be on Waikiki beach: All the above are in the same general area -- convenient to everything -- with the minor exception of Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is an extra 5 or 10 minutes' walk to most Waikiki restaurants, shops, etc. The trade-off is great pools and sprawling resort enviornment.

So, questions for you:

1. What's your per-night hotel budget?

2. What amenities in a hotel/resort are important to you? (i.e. quiet setting vs. great pools vs. central location)

And a warning: Starwood and Hyatt properties have resort fees. Most Waikiki hotels have expensive parking (often $30 a da).

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

Oops, I forgot Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach (different from Outrigger Reef on the Beach).

Adelaide
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

Thanks for the wonderful feedback BeacheeMe and the reason we chose 10 days on Oahu as we spend 2 whole days in Maui and Kauai on the cruise. Also want to spend the first 3 days with the car checking the island out and once we hit Wakkiki would like to do a the crater hike, ATV Tour, maybe swim with the dolphins (my daughter is desperate to do this) plus shop, relax, shop relax and have friends that will be there at this time so a few catch ups for drinks I'm sure.

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

Personally, I would ditch the cruise and split your time between two or three islands. The ship is going to seem very restrictive to you after you have tasted your freedom on Oahu. You have the time, you can drive and it looks like you are a good trip planner. You don't need the cruise - and frankly - it's not that good.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

Mmm, a bit late to ditch the cruise as paid the deposit yesterday! Maybe I should have asked about this first....I did google some reviews beforehand and they were mixed but thought it would be a good way to see all of the islands and have fun along the way. We did a MSC cruise in the Mediterranean last year and reviews were mixed for that but we really enjoyed ourselves so will have to make the most of it now.

Appreciate your feedback.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

Have a look at the Holiday Inn Beachcomber as well.

It's right in the centre of Waikiki, above a small Macy's store, and opposite the Cheesecake Factory ... an Aussie favorite on Waikiki. Next to the CF is a laneway where you can walk to the beach, or walk through the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center which is also opposite.

The hotel has been renovated recently and has nice rooms .. we had two queen beds ... plus a pool next to the restaurant and bar.

Their prices aren't as expensive as a lot of other hotels, because it doesn't face the beach ... but it has ocean view rooms higher up. We only went once onto the beach just to see it. We have better beaches at home. But it is Waikiki, so you have to dip your toes in the water!

The Bus is the local transport, and you can get that on Kuhio Avenue (behind the International Market Place) which will take you anywhere you want to go .. is very handy for all that shopping at Ala Moana Shopping Center.

adelaide
Level Contributor
274 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

We loved the POA cruise, and have just booked again for this Christmas. You will love it. Great way to see most of the islands. Don't book shore tours through the ship. Just plan your own. Cruise critic.com has heaps of good advice. As an Adelaidean can't you do a dolphin swim off Glenelg?

Cheers

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,961 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

For your Waikiki hotel, I like the Outrigger Reef. It's right on the beach, great location, mid-priced (for beachfront).

suze

10. Re: Help with Itinerary Pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 March 2012, 20:09
Edited: 07 March 2012, 20:09