We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki AND Maui?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki AND Maui?

Finalizing plans for first trip to Hawaii with entire family (teens and 20's) and the travel agent has us staying in Waikiki for two nights and the remainder of the trip in Maui. Since it's our first trip, is it wise to do both or just stay in one place. Don't want to waste a day traveling, but want to see both. Suggestions?

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

We can't answer that question unless we know how many nights/days you will be in Hawaii overall.

You won't see much of Oahu in two days.

You were smart to post here. Kudos.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,401 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Aloha,

I would give Waikiki a chance.

Teens and 20's love Waikiki.

Aloha

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,977 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Unless you have at least 10 days save yourself the headache of island hopping and let your young folks enjoy Waikiki and Oahu.

St Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Thanks for your replies. Should we stay in Waikiki? Or is there a more reasonable town/city to stay?

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
606 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

If as you say this is your first visit, I would stay on Oahu, specifically in Waikiki. You and your family will really enjoy it. There is always plenty to do and see.

Enjoy your trip.

John.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

i agree with the above posters. unless you have at least two weeks...stay put on oahu. make waikiki your headquarters.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
869 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Mulva,

How many nights are you planning on spending in Hawaii?

What is your per night budget?

How many people?

Condo or hotel?

Renting a car or not?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

I've done both and I was only there for a week. Totally don't regret it. I was done with Waikiki after 2 days. Too many people, too much stuff around. I saw what I really wanted to see and didn't feel rushed. I could've gone to the North Shore, but I wanted to try a different island. Maui was definitely more my speed.

St Louis
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Original trip included car and condo on Maui, hotel (no car) in Waikiki. Would prefer a condo so we can have some meals in. Original plan was 7 days, but may tweek that to stay a couple days longer. There's 6 of us going on the trip.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki AND Maui?

Stay on one island with a trip that short. Maui would be fine. A hit-and-run trip to Waikiki will only leave you frustrated. There is so much to see and do on Oahu. Put all your eggs in one basket - Maui or Oahu. You will throughly enjoy either.

Flying between the islands will consume a good chunk of one day.