We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Costs

Hi all

My husband and I are thinking of going to Honolulu for 7 days ideally on a room only basis at one of the 4 * hotels. Can anyone let me know what the cost of living is - for example, the cost of a dinner\wine\beer, touristy activities such as snorkelling etc. I have heard that it has a very high cost of living and need to factor this into the cost of the holiday.

We will be staying in San Francisco for a few days and also Las Vegas on the way back. We are from England.

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs

You will find the cost similar to San Francisco and Las Vegas. You can eat about as cheap as you want to as expensive as you want.

Dinner - Easily doable for $20/person, even less if you get fast-food, you can also obviously spend more.

Wine - $6-7/glass cheaper if you find a good happy hour

Beer - $5-8/glass and cheaper if you find a good happy hour

Snorkeling can simply for the cost of the rental of a snorkel and mask ($15/week). Other tours can be $50 - $120/pp depending on what you want to do.

Bottomline - you can do it on a budget but you need to research ahead of time on what you want to be doing.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs

Aussies love the Cheesecake Factory. Serves are so huge you could share and still take a cheesecake back to the hotel for supper. To die for. Have a look at the menu on their website ... it's huge. Takes half an hour to read it.

Ala Moana Shopping Mall has a huge food court on the ground floor ... there's a couple more food courts in Waikiki ...

We did a bit of walking and found a few cheap breakfast places ... Dennys is one, they have their famous grand slam breakfast which we enjoy.

If you fill up on breakfast, have a light lunch, then you can go somewhere nice for dinner. Shorebird has a buffet on the beach ...Altho light lunches in the US are still huge for us.

Go to Macy's Department store (you can do this in any city in the US), take your passport and get a 10% discount card for use at any Macy's for a month. That can save on some shopping.

Have a look at these websites. They're online versions of free booklets available in Waikiki on the sidewalk. Turn the pages on the top right hand side. It gives you lots of information on dining and what to do. And there are coupons. You'll see the books along the sidewalk at several places along Kalakua Avenue. They look like newspaper stands.

www.spotlighthawaii.com

www.101thingstodo.com

Mentioned in this post
The Cheesecake Factory
The Cheesecake Factory
11,010 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs

Hawaii can be as cheap or an expensive as you want it to be. You can find dinner at a casual place for $10-15usd. Or you can spend $100s. Just depends where you go.

Same for activities. The beach is free. There's lots of free and low cost music, dance, farmers markets, stuff like that. Or you can spend a lot on sunset cruises, helicopter rides, etc.

I agree as a tourist (it might be different if you were living full-time in Hawaii) it will be similar priced to San Francisco. -suze

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sydney
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs

I would suggest the Holiday Inn. Nice rooms, in the middle of everything, good prices some people have posted about the noise level at night but we really didn't notice it all. I agree with the others you can do Hawaii on a budget and compared to prices in Australia it is fantasic for shopping and we found meals to be very cheap and huge!!!

We can't wait for November and Hawaiian Airlines and the wonderful 32kg luggage allowance you can't go wrong with a trip to Oahu!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs

I agree with TigerGirl .. the Holiday Inn Beachcomber is perfect. Their website will give you prices in Aussie dollars.

I've been to Hawaii 4 times, stayed at 4 different hotels and this is the best value for location.

Cannot beat the location .. and the prices are good.

Was renovated in the last couple of years .. has everything you want.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs

you will have fun with the silly Imperial system here. all the beers are 12 ounces or taller with drafts.

San Francsico will cost more, save some money by just taking pics of the cable cars we have fake ones in Waikiki. poor advice as I still love the cable cars. dont miss a night at Harry Dentons.

Hawaii is expensive but I hear compares with British prices so I think you will be fine. if price really is the factor look for early bird specials (dinner) and get your drinks on in the room. a good california wine goes for 20$ and up and if you can find the 10$ winners lifes great, (Mirrasou, Bogle). these are my go to wines after I get a buzz on.

Las Vegas can be dirt cheap, and still can find beers for 1 and 2 dollars, get em free if your a player but dont expect the server back soon without a $ tip.

Mentioned in this post
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs

How much is a case of beer at a random ABC store? What would you guys say is the best snack to take to the beach for lunch? We will mainly be out of Waikiki during the day and are on a budget. Don't want to threadjack this but it would be nice to get some feedback. Thanks

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs

Go to Food Pantry on Kuhio ave. for beer they have a bigger selection make sure you try some Kona Brewing Company beer.

You could also get stuff there for a picnic on the beach. Spam Musubi is a very popular hand held food item. Rice and Spam wrapped with Nori which is seaweed my hubby loves them me not so much don't like the nori.

ABC stores have some prepared food items also and there is a place on Kalakaua ave. called Coco Cove like an ABC store but they have a much bigger selection of prepared foods.

Mentioned in this post
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
379 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kona Brewing Company
Kona Brewing Company
96 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Coco Cove
Coco Cove
389 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Upland, CA
Level Contributor
232 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs

I have always found entertainment/lodging/food & drink prices to be similar to that of the mainland, sometimes even less depending and where/when you go out to eat. The real sticker shock is the price of gas and groceries.

Seattle
Level Contributor
48,196 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costs

<What would you guys say is the best snack to take to the beach for lunch?>

I always just buy a salad or sandwich for the ABC Store or Food Pantry, usually about $5.

Mentioned in this post
Food Pantry
Food Pantry
379 Reviews
Oahu, HI