We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

I had been looking into airfares from Australia to Hawaii recently and I thought I should post this following the collapse of Air Australia.

This is more a post for Australians intending to do some shopping while in Hawaii. Although jetstar's basic airfare is cheaper, the price is almost the same if you are upgrading to the same luggage allowance offered by virgin/Hawaiian.

If flying from a city other than Sydney, you will need to book through virgin Australia to take advantage of increased luggage capacity of two pieces of 23 kg each which totals 43kg per passenger. If you book with a connecting flight to Sydney (where Hawaiian departs) flying qantas or jetstar, you will only have the checked in baggage allowance normally offered by these domestic flights - ie. 23 kgs in total for qantas. This is an important consideration if you are booking through sites such as Expedia or webjet.

If flying from Sydney, from what I have read on Hawaiian airlines website, it appears that you can get two pieces of 32kg for a total of 64kg per passenger included in your standard airfare.

If you choose to fly through jetstar, you will need to select your baggage allowance and pay a fee - which can be quite high. However, if you are in Hawaii and end up buying more Han you thought, the excess baggage charges at jetstar check-in will be far more expensive.

I have flown jetstar to Japan before and they were ok. Their basic fares are great if you don't need the extra luggage. However, if you or your family are intending on doing some shopping, it may be worthwhile considering virgin/Hawaiian for their increased checked in baggage allowance, as this may end up being more competitive once you have paid for all the extras.

However, for all the Australians, it seems that alcohol is not free on Hawaiian but can be purchased.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Just to clarify your post, for our coming holiday in April I booked all flights directly with Hawaiian airlines Melb-Syd{Virgin} Syd- Hon{Hawaiian} Hon-Maui{Hawaiian] and Return, as its classed as a “through ticket“ the included baggage allowance is 2 x 32 kgs on every sector per passenger .

When I did book they did give me the option of flying Qantas to Sydney but that was a bit dearer in price.

Did fly Jetstar on same route back in 2010, wasn’t the greatest experience just the little things like having to make your own way from the Sydney Domestic Terminal to the International Terminal whereas Virgin provide free shuttle service.

And you are right you do pay for your alcohol on Hawaiian Airlines but meals, soft drink, blankets and seat selection are at no extra cost. So in the end it probably evens out.

Bunbury, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

We have also booked Perth-Sydney-Honolulu with Virgin then Hawaiian as through tickets and also get the 64kg allowance there and back. Bring on the shopping!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Thanks ozfamily,

I totally agree and we also booked with virgin and Hawaiian. Did you book with Hawaiian via phone? On their website it seems that you can only book flights departing Sydney? If booked through virgin rather than direct with Hawaiian, the luggage allowance is only 2 x 23kg according to virgin's website, so it may be worth booking direct with Hawaiian next time, although 46 kg each should be more than enough!

With the 32kg per bag luggage allowance through Hawaiian, be careful if you will be doing inter island flights as you pay excess baggage fees on bags over 23kgs (in addition to the $17 per bag fee).

Does anyone know about the entertainment options on Hawaiian airlines from syd to hon and return? I understand they have portable entertainment systems for hire at around $15 each way, but are there any free entertainment/movies also?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Nicho-Paul, did you book through virgin or Hawaiian? I looked on virgin's website and it only says 23kg x 2 pieces for "north America".

I might have to give them a call to see if we have 32kg x 2 instead.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

virginaustralia.com/us/en/plan/baggage/check…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Now I'm confused...

On virgin Australia's faqs page, it says that passengers on Hawaiian airlines code share flights in economy only get an allowance of 2 bags for 32kg in TOTAL while Business class get 32kg per bag...

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/help/faq/?route=questions/683/I+am+flying+on+a+flight+operated+by+a+Codeshare+partner%3b+do+I+need+to+purchase+baggage%3f

Bunbury, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

We did it through a travel agent for the flights and she has confirmed it is 64kg however just looking at the confirmation it does state Business Class for the Perth to Syd leg

Melbourne
Level Contributor
139 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

If you fly Qantas or Jetstar you can either pre pay for extra weight at time of booking or you can add on extra weight pre check on website at quite a small cost . Never arrive at the airport with excess baggage as the cost at check in is enormous. Of course another option is posting back !

we have flown Jetstar to Thailand/Japan and Vietnam without any problems.

We found airfares for June /July travel to be over $2100 each with Virgin or Hawaiin and about $1800 with Jetstar ( including extra luggage and meals ) .

We had booked with Air Australia . Sadly forced to transit in Sydney once more :( . Waiting to get those airfares back from my NAB Visa ( Other banks have already honored the chargeback so looks hopeful.)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Further to my posts, I called Virgin Australia this morning and they confirmed their baggage allowance to Hawaii is 2 x 23kg per bag for a total of 46 kg per passenger. (Their faqs page on the website needs updating apparently).

To be able to take 64kg, it seems that, unless flying direct from Sydney directly with Hawaiian Airlines, a business class domestic flight would need to be booked like Nicho-Paul's travel agent arranged, however I assume this may increase the fare substantially?

However, I am more than happy with 46kg and probably will only end up with about 30kg anyway!

Luggage is not a big issue for a lot of people, but for those who intend to do a fair amount of shopping in Hawaii, it is probably worth looking into this and other "free" inclusions before booking a flight with a lower cost airline.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Australia - Virgin/Hawaiian vs jetstar

Just got off the phone from Qantas/Jetstar - as I've booked Brisbane - Sydney, Sydney - Honolulu. They have confirmed that we have only 20kg per person as we booked through Qantas Website. If we require more on the leg home, we can go online and book.