We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might be travelling alone!

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Might be travelling alone!

I'm wondering how practical it would be to go for a holiday to Waikiki, travelling alone (55-65 age bracket.) Would I have to pay the same price for a hotel room or condo as a couple would?

Thanks

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Traveling solo is not going to be much less expensive than traveling as a couple.

Hotel rooms charge is for 1 or 2 people.

But, you will have a fun time as you won't have to worry about doing what your companion wants to do.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Some hotels also have rates that they call "senior" rates. I have noticed that through the AAA website.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
930 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might be travelling alone!

I just ended a six week trip to Oahu with all but the last week alone. It was wonderful! As Epicurean says it is a delight to get up each day and ask, "What do I want to do?" With the emphasis on I. Costs aren't perceptively different as room prices are set for 2. But, it could be more cost effective because you are paying for only things you want.

This was the first time in my life I went solo and I can't recommend it highly enough. Go for it! By the way, I'm a senior citizen, too.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 13:54
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might be travelling alone!

I've been to Waikiki four times, three of those trips I was solo (I'm female in my 50's). I had a fantastic trip every time!! Yes of course you pay the same for a hotel room as a couple would. Just book a less expensive place like Waikiki Sand Villa, Royal Grove, The Breakers, Hawaiian King, or Queen Kapiolani if budget is a concern.

Waikiki is safe and friendly, plenty of things to see and do on your own. There's lots of casual eating options so meals alone are never a problem.

have fun! aloha, suze

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might be travelling alone!

I am definitely over 50 and travel to Hawaii solo a lot to visit family. I prefer to stay in a hotel or VRBO because their place is not big enough for me to stay, and I prefer to be independent. As others have already mentioned, the cost of the accommodations will be pretty much the same for one or two people. Try using AAA or AARP for a discount.

Sometimes I rent a room in someone's home, which is a lot cheaper and also more interesting, because they live in regular neighborhoods. This is mostly by word of mouth, though, as my daughter knows several "aunties" who have an extra bedroom. You may want to check out airbnb.com that I have used successfully in other countries. They have some rooms in Waikiki from what I can tell.

Traveling solo is wonderful, and I have done it all over the world. Waikiki/Honolulu is an easy place to do it. Get a street map of Honolulu and a route map of TheBus, and you'll be all set.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Thank you for your encouraging replies! Could you please explain what the 'AAA' and/or 'AARP' are? Do the discounts including 'Seniors' discounts apply to those travellers who live outside of the USA?

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Hi greymatter, I don't know about "Seniors" discounts for foreign travelers. AAA ("triple A") is the automobile club, and AARP is the 50+ club (used to be American Assn of Retired Persons).

Edited: 23 February 2012, 16:41
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Those discounts mentioned are both U.S. organizations. When you go on hotel websites you can find the various offers and specials and see if there are any that may apply to you.

Or what I do is simply pick a hotel that is cheaper in the first place, like the ones I mentioned in my post above. Those are all in the $80-150/night range even at their normal rates.

suze

Wellsford, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Thanks for your encouragement. I am also considering travelling to Waikiki alone. I am 50 also and never been to Honolulu and never traveled alone. By your responses I am guessing it is safe enough place to be alone. Is it easy to get from the airport to wherever I stay?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Might be travelling alone!

Totally, do it! I think it would be one of the best places for a solo traveler. There's enough activity in the Waikiki area that you won't be bored, and I would feel perfectly safe walking around alone (just be sensible). I just returned from a visit with my husband and son, and I can still think of at least 5 things I want to go back to do and would be fine doing alone. One thing you will save on by travelling solo is the cost of dining and airfare!