We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone on AT&T network

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
iphone on AT&T network

We are heading over in 8 days (not that we're counting!). . Last year we purchased AT&T simcards with cheapie handsets on Big Island on the $2 per day plan. It worked fine but now we are wanting to access emails etc so the iphone is a better option for us. So This time we are bringing our unlocked Aussie iphone4 and i was wondering if we could use those same sims (i have a sim cutter to convert it to microsim) and go with the same deal $2 per day and add a data plan. I've checked the ATT website but wanted clarification on a Couple of issues .

1/ would the sims purchased in 2011 have an expiry date ?i.e. could we top up the existing sims for this visit?

2/ does ATT data plan work on unlocked aussie iphone4 ?

3/ can we prepurchase the credit online before we go so we dont have to go hunting for a store when we arrive?

I know there are sites like travelgear where we can arrange a new microsim/plan before we go, but seeing as we already have sims from our last visit, it would keep costs down.

Thanks

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iphone on AT&T network

I have no clue on this one but I will bump it for you. If it were me I would probably contact AT&T directly and ask those questions.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone on AT&T network

Here is your contact number for the AT&T store at 900 Kapahulu Avenue, closest to Waikiki that is not a retail authorized dealer. Telephone: 1 (808) 732-3200 or google ATT Kapahulu.

Good luck.

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iphone on AT&T network

Thanks Mrs C for the contact details. I will buzz them today.

And by the way I love your trip advisor words of wisdom!!

Cheers from Australia

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iphone on AT&T network

There is also a Travel Gadgets and Gear Forum, they probably can answer your questions also.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel_G…

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iphone on AT&T network

Thanks I appreciate the store details . Will contact them directly

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iphone on AT&T network

yeah you should defiantly just ask them directly, that way if you have problems, or get charged too much, you can just go back to them and complain!

Edited: 23 February 2012, 00:23
Sydney
Level Contributor
66 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iphone on AT&T network

Hi tootiredmum,

I'm travelling in 6 days ... and I was wondering what you ended up doing? I've just had my iphone unlocked, but was also considering getting a cheap phone that you can carry around the beach. Although I would prefer to use my iphone more frequently, and it would be handy for navigation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iphone on AT&T network

My mobile here in Perth is with Telstra. I asked to have it on international roaming when I went to the US .. and it worked just like at home. Got calls and messages.

I really only wanted to use it for emergencies, so the cost was kept down.

I mean, footy scores from home were an emergency!

I'd do it again for my next trip.

Adelaide SA
Level Contributor
230 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iphone on AT&T network

Hi

I ended up getting a travel gear sim usa , express posted to me in Oz before we left.The sim was $29 and We opted for $2 day plan. Because we are away for 2 weeks i purchased $40 credit. Tim from travelgear australia was very helpful with my Questions .Unfortunately it was pretty useless on big island as I was unable to get T mobile coverage in the resort area. It has been fine on Maui and we head to Oahu on Sunday So hopefully it should be good there too.

Just be aware that calls back to Australia are still expensive I think $1-99 per minute, so you can download the app rebtel which reduces the costs of these calls. You have to go online to rebtel site before u go and set up the numbers you want to call in Australia and then u are given a dummy US number for each of ur Aussie numbers. You then buy minimum $10 credit online thru rebtel website for your international calls.

You can top up your travel gear sim online or just buy top up T mobile cards when in Hawaii.

Last year we opted to just buy a cheapie phone and sim thru at & t on a $2 day plan and that worked ok too. But I really needed access to emails and internet, maps etc this time around

Safe travels and enjoy your holiday

Cheers

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iphone on AT&T network

I was at the AT&T store on Kapahulu two weeks ago to purchase a note book and another cell phone, when, I heard this guy mentioned that he was from Canada and he forgot his AT&T smartphone and he would like to purchase another one, cheap with the minutes to go with the phone. I believe, the gentlemen from Canada purchased the phone for $9.99 and added minutes to the phone. What the plan was, I did not hear, but, I believe he got a phone and purchased minutes at different levels. When he is done with vacationing here in Hawaii, he will take the phone home to Canada and when he returns again, he will bring the phone with what ever minutes remain. Maybe, he can also lend the phone to a friend visiting at a different time. Good luck, hope this help with what I heard.