We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

we are off to Hawaii in August staying on Kona for the first week and Waikiki the second. Is it better to book your flight between islands in advance or once you get there?

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Yes. Absolutely book your interisland flights in advance. Like now. Use Hawaiian Airlines.

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Hawaiian airlines runs about 85% capacity,which is a record in the industry. They do not have many empty seats. Most flights are sold out. Book now or you will get blocked out

LA
Level Contributor
9,948 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

The flights with the most convenient times will sell out.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

And you are traveling at peak vacation season. If you do get a flight at the last minutes, you will pay dearly for it.

Kudos for asking the question.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. I booked our flights right away. Couldn't believe how reasonable they were. I cannot wait for this trip. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Hawaiian (which is a great airline) overbook like everybody else and as their flights are usually full you should check in and get your seat allocation as soon as you can

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

Book as soon as your plans are firmed up. The low-price fares go fast. You may find you have to travel very early morning and/or later at night.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

I see you did your booking in advance. That is a wise decision for most economical flights.

I like flexibility so I often wait till later.

Yesterday I booked my flight from LIH to Hilo. I like spontaneity. I ended up having an early dinner with friends so I 'hang loose' but that certainly isn't for everyone.

Travel and vacationing is different for every traveling soul.

9. Re: Is it better to book your flights between islands before?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:40