We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

OK, I'm excited. We're landing around 12:30pm this Thursday. At that point, not having been to Oahu since 1999, we will be raring to go (despite being tired from the flight).

We have our one-week itinerary sort of figured out (thanks to all the information here and having been there before) but I'm intensely curious as to what people do for their first afternoon?

We're staying on Lewers, near the Halekulani. My cousin works there but we won't be seeing them the first day. We just want to get down to the beach and walk around and sample some local food, that first afternoon and evening. No specifics. Just a general "ahhhhhh....(sigh) we're here" type of afternoon/evening. Sand and sunsets.

What do others do, when they first arrive?? Would love to hear stories.

PS: Thanks to everyone here who is so helpful!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

go get food,,then into our swimmers and straight to the beach,,cool off then straight to tthe shops,,then more food,,walk up the street at night,,more food ,,then bed lol

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
236 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

MarlySF didn't I just see you over on the PV forum?? I see several of the posters on that site here too....I guess we must be birds of a feather all seeming to flock to the same sunny weather! ;-)

Trip report when you return please if you have time. I am going to Oahu for the first time in Sept and need all the tips I can get!!

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

RUN do not walk to the beach!!!!! LOL !!!

I would dip my very white and colorless toes in that beautiful shade of ocean and imagine how much prettier those same toes will look with my anticipated tan :)

Then I would settle into a very HAPPY happy hour with different appetizers while I drink something colorful that would have either a pineapple or umbrella garnish!

When I finally turn in for the night... I would thank God for the blessing of being in such a WONDERFUL place!

AHHHH .. PARADISE!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

First - the Snoopy dance...lol

Next go to baggage claim, meet up with Melvin from ABC limos. Enjoy the drive to the Hale Koa.

Get out of our travel clothes, quick rinse off and re dress in shorts, aloha shirt and slippahs then head right to the beach with maybe a quick stop at the Barefoot bar for a Mai Tai.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Head straight for the beach walk. Just walStewart until you see the ocean. If this is a budget trip, you may stop at the Hale Koa beach bar (tables and umbrellas behind fence) and have your first Mai Tai and bar food while sitting and people watching.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 15:28
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Should have said 'walk west'

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Depending on the length of stay.

I like to head to the hotel, check in, organize my belongings (usually on a carry on so not too much time), confirm turn down service, drink a good amount of water, and head to a nice lunch with a view (only if hungry),

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Well, actually I've been wondering the same thing. We don't get in until just after 6pm. Being picked up by Melvin, so check in shouldn't take too long. We are staying at the Holiday Inn, so I will be reserving a table at the Hula Grill for a late dinner, and evening views of the ocean. And I know my mother-in-law will want to see that ocean for the first time with some kind of drink in hand lol.

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Grab case, into cab... Out at hotel. Have a few cold ones!! Check in, shorts flip flops on back out go to beach bar along from HHV ( forgot its name) bite to eat while knocking back a cocktail or 2 :) Feet up, chill out... Jobs a good un!!

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: First thing you'd do, when arriving at 1pm??

Drop the bags off at the hotel, shed some clothing ... head for Duke's Barefoot Bar, House Without a Key or the Royal Hawaiian for a yummy lunch with a yummy view.

(BrightonBill: the Snoopy Dance is performed while walking through our front door coming home from work on the last day before vacation!)