We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

Patterson...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

My husband and I are visiting in Dec. We are not renting a car, but want to go to Lanikai Beach. Is there a shuttle that will take us there?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,493 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

Nope, no shuttle.

The Bus, taxi or private car are you options probably.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

You should rent a car so that you can visit the entire island. Lanikai is gorgeous, but there is so much more to O'ahu. TheBus is a great system, but it is pretty slow.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,046 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

I also think you should rent a car.

You can see the island much better with a car.

Sandakan, Malaysia
Level Contributor
344 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

AS far as the bus goes, there's NO direct bus from Waikiki or Ala Moana Shopping Center to Lanikai. You have to take a bus to Kailua, and then transfer to bus no. 70 which will go to Lanikai. But bus no. 70 runs every 60 minutes. It was because of this that I settled for Kailua Beach instead. (Lanikai Beach is actually not too far away from Kailua Beach.)

Also, bear in mind that Lanikai Beach has no facilities (e.g. rest room, shower) unlike Kailua, so, this may have some bearing if you're taking public transport.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

if coming from Ala Moana you could take the 56 or 57 then transfer to the 70.

haven't took the bus for 20 years in Honolulu but if memory still works the 70 will drop you off at Kailua beach or in Lanikai with beach access. if you get off in Kailua for Kailua beach using the 56/57 it will be a bit away from the beach and walking would add another 20+ minutes.

I like the use of a shower to rinse off and the closest to Lanikai beach with a shower I can remember is the boat ramp. also like the idea of getting a car. you may want to do Buzz's or some other stops The Bus wont make. Nuuanu Pali Drive and the Pali Lookout are nice stops and coming home through Hawaii Kai back to Waikiki will give you more insight on the island layout checking out Sandy's and the blow hole.

Patterson...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I may look into getting a car for a day or two, seems like it would be easier! I myself haven't taken a bus in about 20 yrs so I probably would find it a hassle! Thanks again :)

Edited: 14 March 2012, 15:21
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,883 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

MonicaD03: Please rent a car. If you have a GPS at home, it's a good idea to bring it along. Oahu is a beautiful island and it would be a shame to not see it on your own schedule. Have a great trip.

8. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2012, 15:39
Patterson...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

Wow!! Thanks BeachesMountain for all the extra info, it sure helps.I will look into all those you have sugested.

Yes ddffpp we will be looking intio a car for at least 2 days. I would like to visit on my own time and that seems to be the only way to do it. Thanks again for everyones help :)

albany, n.y.
Level Contributor
697 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki shuttle to Lanikai Beach

Try Star Taxi. They offer a fixed price of $45.00 one way from any location in Waikiki to Lanikai. The travel time is about 30 minutes. Call 808-942-7827, They can pick you up right at your hotel.You can always take a bus back on the return.