We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Just wondering what other people's experiences are... we are looking at booking a condo through someone on vrbo.com at the Wyndham Beachwalk. Should I feel nervous doing this all over the net? I have managed to find one that is a decent deal for the 4 nights we are after (and I know lots have a minimum of 7 nights so we are lucky in that respect).. I don't how it all works but basically they have said that when we check in is when our room is assigned and they will send us a confirmation letter 45 days prior to check in date... any advice?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

I would compare it to the ones listed on ebay. So you have ebay standing behind the product.

Timeshares make me nervous because so many are being foreclosed in Hawaii.

Sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Foreclosed? As in individual ones or whole buildings? Sorry - don't know much about them. I guess I wouldn't do it on ebay so don't do it otherwise? I am so OVER looking at hotels etc.. it's making me crazy! We just want 4 nights somewhere nice... its just so expensive for what you get there... crazy prices really.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

To answer your original question, if it was me ---- I would feel very nervous.

First of all, I'm unclear as to whether you would be renting the 4-days from an individual who owns time at that resort -or- whether it is being rented out by Wyndham itself. They do a very active sales routine on people just walking down Lewers St. (they stopped us several times last week but we just shined them on and didn't go to a presentation).

I'm confused as to why someone who has 4 days available at Wyndham would put it on VRBO. It sounds like they are trying everything. Also, in full-disclosure, I am a vacation club owner through another plan by Wyndham and not in my lifetime would I ever put my credits (4 days or whatever) up for grabs on VRBO. But, then again, I bought mine to use and some people (I guess) buy them for investment and to try to make money. Not sure why.

Good luck on your search but that one doesn't sound so good, to me. The property is very nice and the location is excellent but whoever is advertising it does not *own* it --- they just have some points (assuming this is not the developer who is advertising).

Edited: 15 March 2012, 17:24
new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Marly,

Plenty of people put their timeshares up for rental. Whether they are unable to use them for the year or whether they are trying to make money, I don't know. I do know that we have rented out timeshares many times. I actually think it is a very lucrative business when you think of what they charge!

We have used redweek in the past and have gone through individual owners. This past year we found the one we were interested in through VRBO and it was actually a company called Hawaii Condo USA that responded to the listing.

I had a very good experience with Chris, the gentleman who handled our transaction. Everything was done through email and I paid with my credit card (in 2 installments). I was VERY particular in writing down what I expected and was paying for and encountered no issues.

I think it depends on how comfortable you feel with the person handling your request. I must admit that the first time we did it, we were nervous up until that moment I checked in. The next time it became a bit easier, and easier, and easier...

Best of luck to the OP.

Aloha

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Very good info, Hawaiigirl.

I think it's probably different in Hawaii than other places. Since I own another plan through Wyndham (as mentioned), it sounded odd to me. Also, since I had a very bad experience through VRBO (not in Hawaii), I tend to be overly cautious after being burned.

You are very correct though that it depends on circumstances, including the people you are dealing with.

Hopefully your info will help the OP.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

I guess you could have a bad experience at anything these days but I've booked several houses and condo timeshare weeks on VRBO and never had a problem. Pay by credit card and find out what protection the card offers.

I also agree that ebay is a great way to rent a week or two (sometimes shorter) in a condo on the islands. If you pay with paypal you have a period of time that is covered by their own money back offer.

Long Island City...
Level Contributor
438 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

If it is a legitimate listing the beachwalk is a very nice property, this is where we stayed on our last trip. Hey MarlySF, how did you get burned by VRBO?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

Mrs_Yar,

It wasn't in Hawaii --- it was in Puerto Vallarta --- and it wasn't VRBO that burned me. It was someone advertising their condo through VRBO. The owner lied (about a number of things, in his information) ---- very bad scene. But, I reported him and he no longer advertises his condo on VRBO. It was an educational experience. Unfortunately, I lost some money on it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

I also rent from VRBO...Once back in Feb for Whistler and this time in Lailua which will find out on April 1st. My experience was great, had no complaints

My friend referred me to VRBO as she uses it often for her travels.

Good Luck

10. Re: Booking a timeshare through vrbo.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:42