We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

i know you cant bring raw food,,plants etc,,but these are honey roasted,,caramel etc,,so they are processed and not raw are theynot???they are in packet and not opened

when icame back last time i had crack a jack popcorn in my handbag and the sniffer dog stoped me,that was an opened packet,,was fine guard had a smile and moved on (myn face red),

i have searched yet again,,without any specific info

yeah says nuts but raw,,my cracka jack dont come under raw ???

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

safe to take home, dont you have better cheaper mac nuts? got some in Cairns served toasty. Hawaii needs to do that.

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

We have bought back Mac nuts the last 3 times but they were bought from Walmart or Target.

If your nuts are in manufacturers packaging with brand and contents listed you are fine, you just need to declare them on the customs card.

We have been asked to show them once, the other times they just wanted to know what we were declaring.

We always declare food and nuts on the customs card as we bring back M&Ms that we dont have over here as well as Mac nuts.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

Guys, I have attached the link to the DAFF (Quarantine) site

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8914039&intCommodityId=27522&Types=none&WhichQuery=Go+to+full+text&intSearch=1&LogSessionID=0

They are allowed in but are subject to inspection-remember always to declare ANY foodstuffs that you are bringing in

Our wonderfull flora and fauna will thank you for it

Also, the Macadamia is an Australian tree/nut, as mentioned above

The quality and choice is excellent and about the same price, unlike most items we can buy in Hawaii at half the price of Aussie stores.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,189 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

Yes, they are processed & therefore legal to take anywhere.

If they were raw, they would not be legal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

i got them from the tropical nut farm,near kaaawa??

great place,,doing my thing supporting the locals,,yeah can get them at home,,but these are yummy.and im being a tourist after all.

great dont think i could eat 4 packets now

i thought they would be ok,,just checking

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

Can't wait for your trip report .... hope you're having a fabulous time ... as if you can't..??

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

We love caramacs and bring back boxes of them as gifts. They're a couple of bucks in Walmart or $14 per box at DJ's at home! We always declare foodstuffs on the card and the minute they see that it's macadamias, they just roll their eyes and wave us through.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

I bet the customs people see you coming "Oh here's the nut again..with the nuts?"

I am presuming you keep a smile on their faces!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

i remember swaggering into the customs area of HNL, munching some choc mac nuts and a lady official asked if I had any food to declare? I held out the bag and said "Want some?". She picked a couple out, flipped one in her mouth, gave me a wink & nodded with a smile. God I love those people…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: so are my macadamia ok to bring back to oz

They are great ... I think they're in love with our accents.