We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top resturants in Hawaii??

New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Top resturants in Hawaii??

Ok so im going to hawaii in may i know of a few places to eat, but i wanna get some feedback as to what others are good, i love seafood, sushi, steak and would love to try some native hawaiian food, any places you guys suggest please let me know????

Thanks!!!

A

New Jersey
Level Contributor
32 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

By the way im staying on wakiki beach forgot to add that .....

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

This question comes up so often that it is listed in the "top questions" section on the right side of the page. Take a look at the one called "Amberloo and Food". I forget if hawaiian food is listed or not, but Ono Hawaiian and Helena's are 2 of the more popular places to get "real" hawaiian food. Ono is much closer to Waikiki. There is a focus on ethnic food...obviously. If you are looking for elegance or a special occassion place, let the forum know and you will get a number of nice places.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

Take some time and read down through the Oahu Forum. We talk about food constantly!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

Amberloo and Food, on the right, is a great place to start. I usually plan what I'm doing (roughly) and where, then have a list of several restaurants for that area. Saves lots of running around. Next time I go, the musts on my list: Helena's, Lulu's, Roy's, and a shrimp truck on the north shore (my preference is Romy's sweet and sour shrimp).

Wherever you go, pay attention to the fish specials. I've never had a bad meal when choosing the fresh catch.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

Be sure you don't confuse "native" Hawaiian food with "local" food. Native Hawaiian implies pre-contact (meaning before European contact) food, which would be fish and poi and a few others. Foods now associated with Hawaii like Kalua pig, lau lau, lomi lomi, poke, manapua, pipikalau, etc are post contact and reflect the blending of cultures in Hawaii.

Read the Amberloo and food topic and if you have questions, ask.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k442912…

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

Dukes @ outrigger Waikiki wonderful huge salad bar with kalua pork Teriyaki chicken go for the lunch buffet! Reasonable prices. On the ocean.

7. Re: Top resturants in Hawaii??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:20