We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choice and birthday dinner

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choice and birthday dinner

Hi everyone,

I've been haunting this forum for ages now... thanks for all the great advice!!

Now, after a heap of research I've whittled my hotel choices down to the following:

Pacific Beach Hotel

Waikiki Resort Hotel

Waikiki Parc

We were trying to keep it at around $100 per night but have found that Hawaii is a little more expensive than the mainland, so have upped it to between $150-$180. It's me, hubby, 8yr daughter & 5yr old son. I'm trying to ensure we have the Waikiki experience by staying as close to the beach as possible in the price range we can afford... what do you think about these 3 hotel choices??? Any comments about them would be very helpful in making my final choice.

Another question?? We fly into Honolulu on Sept 19 at around 1pm from LA. It's my son's 5th birthday that day and I was wondering where would be a great place to have dinner... great for kids more so than adults??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (:

Thanks again!

Feliss

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

Hi have you looked at Aqua Aloha Surf its a couple of blocks from beach and is a good base the pool area is small but otherwise a good place to stay sorry cant help with restaurant

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

If it were I, I'd select the Waikiki Parc because I prefer that end of Waikiki. Having said that... The Pacific Beach Hotel is directly across the street from Waikiki, therefore may be more desirable.

For dinner I'd go to the Oceanarium. It has a huge aquarium and they serve a delicious dinner buffet. A diver can hold up a birthday sign for your son. Arrange this ahead of time. www.pacificbeachhotel.com/dining/oceanarium

Vancouver
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

For dinner, the Oceanarium is a really good idea. But if it is too pricey (I think it was $42 pp in Feb 2012) maybe the Shorebird would work. You grill your own dinner, and is located right on the beach at the Outrigger Reef, I bet your son would like it, too. Bonus, they have $3.50 Mai Tais until 5 pm (for you, not him, haha.)

http://shorebirdwaikiki.com/

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,683 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

If you can get the Waikiki Parc Hotel for that rate, it is by far the best of the three hotels.

A place for kids more than adults sounds like the Hard Rock Cafe or Oceanarium.

A place for the adults, that the kids could like too, House Without a Key at the Halekulani

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

Also consider the Queen Kapiolani. Recent extensive renovation, and you can get a great balcony view within your budget.

Dinner - California Pizza Kitchen. Something on the menu for everyone ... and ask for the balcony. It's overlooks Kalakaua.

BTW - their hot fudge sundaes are the best ever.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

I guess I'm a grown up kid scott... lol I love the Hard Rock

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

Ditto what Scott said: Waikiki Parc seems to be in a class above the other two.

Of your three options, I've stayed only at Waikiki Parc. I remember I paid around $140ish a night in the off season and thought it was good for that price point.

Waikiki Parc is four-star (the low end of the four-stars, in my opinion, but a four-star nonetheless). The other two seem positioned in the market more as budget choices.

So, prices being equal, I'd probably pick the Waikiki Parc.

Re dinner for the 5-year-old. Here's a thought: Go to the Hilton Hawaiian Village, walk around and look at the flamingos, African penguins, koi, and turtles. Then have a fun dinner at Benihana at on the Hilton grounds, then maybe have an ice cream at Lappert's (also on HHV grounds).

(Benihana is that chain place where they cook up your shrimp/steak/whatever Japanese style on your table while you watch. Not Michelin-starred cuisine by any stretch, but it's the most fun idea I can think of for a kid.)

I would also consider getting a pizza at Arancino (steps from Waikiki Parc, just you usually have to put your name in an hour ahead of time to get a table.) Or, if super-casual is okay, there's a Round Table Pizza on the HHV grounds, as well as another on Kaiulani Ave.

I would also consider finding a good buffet someplace where he can go nuts on al the choices and desserts. (Not sure where to find a buffet for dinner in Waikiki, but I bet you could find one.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

GREAT... thanks for the response guys! I'm thinking probably Hard Rock or the Oceanarium for dinner (I think my son would get a buzz out of a message from a diver!!)

Thanks for your feedback on the hotels... now I just need to make a decision!

Again... thanks for your help :)

Feliss

9. Re: Hotel choice and birthday dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 10:19