We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
orlando
Level Contributor
102 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

I can get a good package with one or the other hotel. We will be there for three nights and hoping to see pearl harbor and diamond head for sure. Which hotel out of those two would you recommend. One without breakfast prices cheaper. Is there a grocery store within walking distance to these hotels?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Kids? If not, I would choose the Marriott. With kids, the HHV offers a little more.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

I've not heard a lot of love in here for the Waikiki Marriott. HHV has its fans and its detractors. I'm a fan. So I'd definitely pick HHV.

(And I agree that if you're with kids, definitely pick HHV.)

But, based on the general buzz, Marriott isn't considered to be in the same class as HHV.

Re grocery stores: Anywhere in Waikiki you'll be walking distance to *some* groceries at ABC stores: provisions like yogurt, crackers, milk, hot foods, sandwiches, lunch meat -- stuff like that. Full-on grocery stores are a little fewer and farther in between. There are a couple on Kuhio. (You might want to Google Map "Food Pantry" on Kuhio. Looks like it's closer to Marriott.

Other people in here should have a little better info than that about grocery stores.

At either resort, you can walk to a cheaper breakfast than you'll find at your hotel. Just off HHV property is Wailana Coffee House and IHOP. Marriott neighborhood probably has even more breakfast options including LuLu's and -- a few blocks away on Kuhio -- Keoni by Keo's.

Edited: 03 April 2012, 16:42
Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Odd choices for one package ... but OK. No other alternatives, huh?

If you have kids (young'uns) I would opt for the HHV. Not the better location of the two options - but more entertaining for kids. If it's you and spouse or friend or sib or such - I would opt for the Marriott.

You will find ABC Stores literally everywhere. Easy to pick up breakfast food.

orlando
Level Contributor
102 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

I have two boys 12 and 13. Thanks the hilton is cheaper but their rooms have a fridge so they say and we are not real breakfast eaters. I was worried about not being able to get yogurt or snack foods etc like soda, water and wine for the adults. A fridge is more important to us. The packages are from Costco and either Marriott or Hiltons on Oahu and the big island. The Hilton is much cheaper though. the packages are way cheaper than any other websites.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Based on all you have said, the HHV, even though it has its warts, it is the better choice.

As for groceries, the Food Pantry on Hobron is closer than the Food Pantry on Kuhio, but from the HHV, I'd go to the Foodland at Ala Moana Mall.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

The Marriott is a nice hotel across the street from the beach. IMO, it is more of a hotel than a resort.

The HHV feels a little more like a resort.

Both are nice and I've stayed at both.

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

We've stayed in both. I much prefer the HHV over the Marriott. It has more of a resort feel and is on a great part of the beach. The Marriott is across the street from the beach. I agree that it is more like a hotel than a resort. We enjoyed our time there but we love the HHV. The pools at HHV are much nicer as well.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Another vote for the HHV...

A lush and tropical resort with a wonderful stretch of beach!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

Re provisions like yogurt, water, wine, sodas, cookies, liquor, chips, cereal, packaged salads, sunscreen etc.: ABCs stores, which carry such things, are EVERYWHERE in Waikiki, including one right on the HHV grounds.

(You can even make a cheap meal there if you're in the mood by buying stuff like hardboiled eggs, pastries, spam musubi, sandwiches, hot prepackaged pasta dishes -- stuff like that.)

10. Re: Hilton Hawaiian village or Marriott Waikiki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 02:16