We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

lafayette, la
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

I've read where some say ride mopeds; others say too dangerous... Would riding to diamondhead and around the crater still be dangerous traffic-wise and all that?

Thanks,

Claudette

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

A moped is the very best way to get around central Honolulu/Waikiki....

But it can be tough on someone who is inexperienced, particularly with all the one-way streets and terrible drivers.

Teens and younger adults seem to adapt quickly, encounter few problems and have a wonderful time. Older visitors seem to run into trouble more often.

The area between Waikiki and Diamond Head (just a couple of miles) is mostly residential and/or park and not particularly fearsome for a moped. If you go the other directions, towards mountains and Downtown, be on your toes.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

Also, keep in mind that most mopeds(scooters)have 50cc motors. You are lucky to be able to do 35mph, maybe 40 down hill. So: (1) Stay off the freeways. (2) Drive VERY defensively and drive way ahead, because you will not have the power to get out of a bad situation. Good Luck. Chuck...

Australia
Level Contributor
631 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

do you have to wear helmets? Anyone have a link to a site for prices?

lafayette, la
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

Literally we are only going from waikiki to Diamondhead... there aren't freeways, right? So like can we just drive on the very side of the road?

http://www.hawaiimoped.com/diamond-head-tour

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

We did it, very fun, I say go for it!

lafayette, la
Level Contributor
194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

Looking at the map, it looks like you just basically stay on Kalakaua Rd. all the way up? Is there tons of traffic from the moped place to Diamondhead? This would be done on a Tuesday morning at 8:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m.

Thanks!

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

We just got back from Hawaii - spent a week on Oahu. We rode mopeds one of the days in Oahu and had a BLAST! The weather is so nice (we live in hot Houston), so we were happy to find the ride very comfortable. I wish we'd ridden mopeds more - it's a really fun way to explore! Much more fun that just driving in a car. We picked up our mopeds at Hawaiian Style Rentals which is super close to Diamond Head, and off we went! They have the best maps to show you where to go and how to get there. The guys were super cool and trained us - none of us had ever ridden mopeds before.

I wouldn't ride mopeds on the H1, H2, or H3, but those roads are miserable anyway....the traffic on those is AWFUL. Funny how on a moped, I don't remember traffic. Our group of 5 just stayed together and the locals gave us our space. Very cool. Check out the maps, and make sure to give yourself plenty of time to see everything and hang out at each of the destinations. (Heads up...Manoa Falls was a much longer hike than we expected....and muddier!) Enjoy - vacations go toooo fast!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
536 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

it's a nice ride. a moped has been my daily driver for years and i like riding along diamond head every now and then.

From Waikiki, around diamond head, and back is real easy, mellow and hardly any traffic lights. if you went without stopping and going full speed, it could be a 15 minute ride or so.

Australia
Level Contributor
631 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

A site that I checked out had a moped for $35 for the day or 4 days for $119.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,454 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moped rentals - waikiki to diamondhead

Is there some reason why you had to cut and paste your review and post it in the forums? It's against TA guidelines to post reviews in the forums.