We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Colorado
Level Contributor
337 posts
Save Topic
North Shore Restaurant Recs?

We are spending 1 day in the North Shore and would like restaurant recs for lunch and dinner. We are traveling with a toddler so it doesn't have to be fancy. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

We always stop for lunch at Breakers, it’s not fancy and great for a burger & fries, something quick.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

There aren't many restaurant options on the North Shore. Most of those are at the Turtle Bay Resort or in Haleiwa. We recently spent a week on the North Shore and had the opportunity to try out several places.

At Turtle Bay, the food is more upscale and expensive (but not any more than Waikiki restaurants) but very good. We dined at Ola's, Lei-Lei's, and Leonardo's and enjoyed all our meals. I would say Ola's was our favourite - it's right on the beach and the food and service was the best. There are few restaurants in Hawaii where you can't take toddlers and I noticed children's meals being brought out to the kids the night we were there (I have big kids who eat off the regular menu). You can take a look at the menus on the Turtle Bay Resort website to check out menus and prices.

We also at two places in Haleiwa for dinner- Jameson's and Haleiwa Joe's. Both were good but expensive for what you got - in that sense, I felt Turtle bay was a better value. Haleiwa Joe's prices were a little lower. We wanted to try Opal Thai (used to be a food truck that had great reviews) but it was closed (closed on Mon and Tues) the night we wanted to try it.

For lunch in Haleiwa, we tried Grass Skirt Grill - this place has rave reviews on Yelp. It is a tiny place with only a bit of outdoor seating (outdoor seating is the norm for North Shore dining). The grilled fish of the day was very fresh and it was served with salad and rice for $16.99. My older son had the coconut shrimp which were supposed to be six jumbo shrimp but they were not all jumbo and he felt a bit queasy after the meal. We all enjoyed their plantation ice tea (pineapple juice and iced tea).

We also had Aoki's shave ice instead of Matsumoto because the line was crazy long at the latter location. I've had shave ice from both and Aoki's is just as good - not sure why the line was so short there.

We also ate twice at Giovanni's srhimp truck in Kahuku. We flirted with the idea of trying a different truck but we enjoyed it so much and another TA member mentioned trying Romy's for the second go and wishing they had stuck with Giovanni's. Get some bbq Kahuku corn at the stand on the same lot as Giovanni's. Staff is very friendly at Giovanni's too.

We also purchased pies and pastries from Ted's Bakery and lots of fresh fruit from the Kahuku Farmers fruit stand just west of Turtle Bay resort.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

If you want something quick, good and fast, try Tita's in Kahuku across from the high school.

Colorado
Level Contributor
337 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! We plan on spending time at Sunset Beach and Waimea Bay.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Definitely go to Ted's if you are going to be by Sunset Beach. We would grab breakfast there, then go to Sunset and watch the waves.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Shark Cove Grill is great for breakfast or lunch, they do pretty cheap food, but yum- chicken and rice and fish and rice etc, and the chicken was all nice white meat.

We were staying at Sunset beach, and they were just down the road.

For dinner, we went to Haleiwa Joe's- if you're like me and you don't eat seafood, there's not a massive amount of food without it, but I did have the steak twice and it was delicious and a good size

I was really keen on checking out Ted's but the line out the door stopped me :(

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Ted's bakery is a great place to grab a meal. their combination plates are delicious and portions are huge ! Also very reasonably priced....

new york, ny
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

Just got back and spent 5 days on north shore. I thought Jameson's was pretty bad. Nice place to grab a drink but thats it. Overpriced dried out fish on a old burger bun. We all like Ola's lots. Good food and great location. there isn't really any restaurant in sunset area other than a few plate food trucks and sharks cove grill. if you want to hang in that area go to sharks cove. you can grab a bottle of wine or a few beers at foodland right next door and enjoy a meal outside on the sharks cove tables

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

We did lunch at Jameson's and we didn't care for it either.

I love getting plate lunches at Ted's and driving over to Sunset Beach to have a "picnic" on the sand!

If you aren't too preoccupied with having a view, we love Cholo's Mexican food ... it is in Haleiwa. We have even taken Cholo's "to go" and driven to Sunset Beach :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: North Shore Restaurant Recs?

In Haleiwa, we tried Grass Skirt Grill which was recommended by our neighbors back home. We thought the fresh fish was some of the best food we had on Oahu. Not a real fancy place, but great food.

Drop $46 for an app, 2 drinks, and tip at Ole (Turtle Bay). Food was good, right on the beach, but thought it was a little pricey.