We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

orlando
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

First trip to Oahu....staying at the Hilton hawaii village.

We arrive 1pm - shop for breakfast and snack items, then thinking about doing Diamond head hike. Watch the sunset.

July 10th- wake Up early and head to pearl harbor should be spend the whole day here?

July 11th-rent a car and drive to north shore, Byono temple, Kualoa ranch to see movie sets

July 12th-hanuama bay snorkel, leave for airport to fly to big island at 4pm for 5:30 flight

What do you think? Also there is a honolulu pass and a go oahu card out there...are they the same? I have used go cards in other cities and loved them.

Thank you for your advice

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

If you can make the Diamond Head hike then go for it. You will be pretty tired with the time change and the long trip.

Pearl Harbor - get your tickets and spend whatever time you want there. You can just do the Arizona and the museum or also tour the Missouri and the Bowfin. I still don't think it would take the entire day. Maybe 4 or 5 hours.

Can't help with Kualoa Ranch and your last day.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

Hiking Diamond Head in the mid day sun isn't a good idea. If you do decide to do this make sure you take plenty of water. You also want to make it down before the park closes at 6:00pm and the sunset isn't until after 7:00pm in July.

Since you are going to the Big Island, Hanauma Bay isn't necessary. Nice place to visit but will pale in comparison to snorkeling the Big Island.

orlando
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

Thanks -we will save diamond head for the last morning and just find something to do on the first day. I would like to do something active so we can easily adjust to the time change and I know we will be excited. How long will it take to hike Diamond Head? We are not interested in shopping or eating in fancy restaurants.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

The hike takes approximately 30 minutes each way ... although going up could take longer depending on physical condition of hikers & temperatures when you do it. Allow about 1/2 hour at the top.

You mention getting a rental car on the day that you're doing the North Shore ... are you not going to have a car for the full 3 days?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

Rent a car the entire time.

You can do & see much more with a car the entire time.

By the time you pay for airport transportation, buses, cabs & car rental for one day, you could have rented a car the entire time.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

Go to the Oahu forum. There are a couple different Top Questions including North Shore & Free travel planners.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii, Oahu & whatever other islands you are visiting.

1-800-GOHAWAII

orlando
Level Contributor
102 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

I am just worried about paying over priced parking with renting a car the entire time.

I asked in another link about parking and the lowest was 16 dollars a day around our hotel but daily rentals are around 30 bucks. We have a transfer from the airport already included in our package.

The go card actually includes a one day rental per car so we might use it twice and have a car for two days. Leaning towards buying this go card since no one has commented on the Honolulu power pass yet and it does not include car rentals.

How much is parking by pearl harbor? Thinking that might be good to have a car that day too now. I could not find this out on any websites.

My boys started watching Hawaii 5 0 and are now wanting to see a bunch of places like police head quarters. Maybe we can add that to our pearl harbor day? Especially if we have a car.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

I think you might have a hard time getting your money's worth out of the go card, even with the free one day car rental. At $171. per adult and $144. per child for the 3 day pass (which you'll need for the free car rental) .... that's $630. Plus you have to pay taxes on the rental car. Does your free airport transfer include a return trip?

I think you could rent a car at the airport for your 3 days, pay for parking, pay the entrance fees for the few places that you'll have time & interest to visit during your brief stay, and come out with a a couple of hundred dollars or more in your pocket by paying for things separately. Plus you won't feel that you have to take in activities that you wouldn't otherwise be interested in, just to try to get your money's worth.

With all that you've listed on your itinerary - and which I think are good choices (Pearl Harbour, Diamond Head, North Shore, Haunama Bay) - having a car for the full time will make it much easier for you.

If I recall correctly, there isn't a parking fee at Pearl Harbour.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 13:23
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,998 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

Another note about the "Go card" ... they no longer include the admission fee to Hanauma Bay ... just the trip there and back, plus snorkel gear. Admission is $7.50 pp for ages 13 & up, free under age 13. Going on your own ... the parking fee is $1.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 13:45
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

You are correct, parking is free at the Arizona Memorial. With two boys, I would DEFINITELY buy the package deal for the Bowfin and Missouri. I, too, suggest you get a card or the whole time. Look at a map of all your planned activities and pair them together. With your limited time, you'll need to make the most of it by being as efficient as possible.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,007 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: July 9-12 family trip 2 boys 12 and 13

Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial isn't a full day, no more than a few hours. I might combine it with a trip to Iolani Palace and the downtown area.

Do not try to hike Diamond Head the day you get there, that would be torture.

Where are you staying? If you are too early to check in, go to the hotel, drop your bags and change into the bathing suits that you have cleverly put in your carry-on luggage or in an easily accessible spot in your luggage, and head to the beach. Nothing can refresh you like a dip in the ocean.

Get a car for the whole time, even if you spend as much as $80 parking, it is money well spent for the convenience of getting to all the places you want to go quickly and efficiently.

Don't miss Leonard's Bakery on Kapahulu for malasada's.