We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hanauma bay snorkeling

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
hanauma bay snorkeling

We will be taking our girls age 8 years old to snorkel for the first time. We are going to use one of the shuttles that takes you and picks you up. My question is this: I am bring a 75 year old grandma with us who is lively but still 75 years old. I thought she could sit in a chair on the beach with a book and just enjoy the beautiful scenery and relax while we snorkel. Would the shuttle allow us to bring a chair for her or is there a rental place there? Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

I think as long as you can place it on your lap, you could take a small beach chair down the hill.

connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

Thanks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

Call your shuttle company and ask them. This is different from the shuttle flipper is talking about. After arriving at Hanauma Bay you will be taken to see a educational movie then allowed to go down the hill to the bay. This is a fairly long walk down a fairly steep hill. Especially for someone of that age. There is a shuttle that you can take up and down that hill for a cost. She can take chairs on that shuttle but she needs to step fairly high to get on it. If she can't, don't take her.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

ooops you are right Ms Fuzz...thanks for picking up on that

connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

mfuzz,

Thank you so much for letting me know that. I did not realize that the beach was down a hill. I would not want to bring her there and then not know what to do. I guess I will have to leave her at the hotel for the morning (although I hate to do that) but I have no choice. My daughters really want to do this. Thanks again

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

I don't think you need to leave her at the hotel, the shuttle at Hanauma goes both ways. We take it up every time. Just as long as she can step up unto it. I am sure there would be an able bodied somebody that could help if she needed a little help. OR, failing that , there is a nice grassy area with a snack shop thingie and also a breath taking view point at the top. Maybe she could stay at the top of the hill, find a shady spot, grab a cool drink and read her book right there.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

The little shuttle is a great idea to get up and down. It's only a few dollars each way. Unless she has mobility issues other than what's expected for a 75 yr old, she will be fine getting on and off. I've sat on the sand in the shade for a few hours down there, and it was beautiful & relaxing. Bring something light to eat and some drinks and she'll be great.

connecticut
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

That sounds like a good idea. I think she would do fine taking the little shuttle down (I think we would all do well with that!) Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

…honolulu.gov/parks/…accessibility.htm

Have a look at this website. I don't think it will be a problem at all for your grandma!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hanauma bay snorkeling

Take a look at that link that Finallyafter1 posted. That is a completely different vehicle that I have seen used to go up and down the hill. Looks like they may have upgraded!!