We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess baggage to New Zealand

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Excess baggage to New Zealand

Hi all

9 weeks to go . cant wait. Wife & daughters planning on raiding all your shops. As our baggage back to NZ is very low ( 1 x 23 KG each ) I am looking for ways to get all their retail loot back home without it costing more than hiring a private jet. Any suggestions , I tried looking a U.S Post & D.H.L but couldnt understand it all. They have made the suggestion that I stay at home and they can use my seat on the plan , thank god I have the credit card or else I might have an " unfortunate accident " on the way to the airport

SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
406 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess baggage to New Zealand

Make sure your suitcases are light to start with. We would take over 2 cases for the 4 of us and pack 2 large Wolf duffle bags for the daughters to bring back as their allowance. These weighed less than a kilo so they would be filled with heavy items.

Make sure you pack light, going over dont take clothes you dont need or for just in case, take half as much and wash if needed.

The time we had a 23kg limit we took over joggers that were old and left them there after hiking Manoa, as we bought lots of cheap ones in Oahu. So take stuff you dont want to bring home after you use it there.

Take a baggage scale with you so you can swap things between bags to get maximum weight allowance, and weigh your carry on.

Make sure you fill your carry on with heavy items, check your limit for carry on, ours was 10 kg. Make sure you dont waste this limit. Put jeans if you buy them in carry on {we bought jeans over there as a 1/10 of the price we pay in OZ)

Make sure you all have a carry on bag to come back with, pack the ones you dont need on the way over.

A tip - after each days shopping I would pack it away in the cases to make sure it fitted and weighed the bags, so you know how much more you can buy.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 06:54
tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess baggage to New Zealand

Travel there in clothes you can toss. This is my mother's and now my preferred method of keeping clothes brought along to a minimum.

For nightgowns and other night wear, take stuff that you can simply toss at the end as well. It's not much, but it'll help.

Remind your family you can wash clothes there, so pack lightly. Try to get them to leave hair dryers and curlers (if they use them) behind.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess baggage to New Zealand

I think you should stay home and they can take me!

The others have suggested great ideas ... take less, even less and then throw out half of what you pack .. that's just to go over. I find my heaviest items include makeup, favourite shampoos etc ... leave them home as well.

Makeup for the ladies is incredibly cheap over there .. so they can stock up.

You can have a nice cold beer on the beach while they shop!

Tell them to check out this website.

www.cvs.com

Click on beauty and compare the prices to what they are at home. CVS bought out Longs Drugs, but it's still Longs in Hawaii .. and they sell makeup brands like Revlon and Cover Girl, whereas Macy's sell Estee Lauder and Mac and others.

Also, hopefully they read this, or you may not pass on the message, take their passports to Macy's information counter, and they'll get a 10% discount card which lasts a month at any Macys store. There is a small store in Waikiki, but a larger one at Ala Moana.

Many, many stores on Kalakuau Avenue .. as well as Ala Moana Shopping Center .. and not to forget the outlets in Waikele.

Also, ABC Stores is on every corner and sell great souvenirs, like key rings, tee shirts, calendars ...

www.abcstores.com

If this all gets too much for you .. I don't mind volunteering my service, to save you a heart attack!

And a warning ... they'll want to go back ..! We all do.

Have fun .. and hope you're counting down the days on the calendar.

4. Re: Excess baggage to New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:42