We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Any suggestions for the 3 must do/see things in Hawaii in 3 short days for 2 ageing and unfit travellers ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Hey ... I'm ageing and unfit .. and I have a ball in Hawaii, so I know you will too. Here's a few things to do.

The first must do is Pearl Harbor. You can now buy tickets online in advance, but you still have to be at the memorial an hour before. Here is the link for the tickets.

www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do…

You can get there by The Bus - which is the local transport. It will cost you $2.50 from Waikiki. You can get on The Bus on Kuhio Avenue (behind the International Market Place), or outside the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel if you're staying down that way.

It will take about an hour ... because you go through metropolitan Honolulu. But for $2.50, its an enjoyable ride. I've done it a few times.

The Bus will drop you right into the memorial grounds. At the memorial, there is a shop, museum and cafe, before you get called in by your number to see a movie about the bombing, and then a boat ride out to the memorial.

While here you can also visit the USS Bowfin, a submarine (next to the memorial) ... or the USS Missouri battleship. The USS Missouri is the ship that the Japanese were on, when they signed the surrender for WW2. There is a charge for the Bowfin and Missouri... I think it's about $16, and you get taken by bus to the island where the Missour is. You will see it parked near the Arizona.

Then to return to Waikiki, walk outside onto the main road, and just to the left, about 20 metres is the bus stop to go back to Waikiki. All so easy when you know how. You need correct change for The Bus.

Or, what I do, is get off somewhere along the way ... like downtown/Chinatown for a look around. You could even have a nice dinner in this area .. or at the Aloha Tower Marketplace.

www.alohatower.com

Or you could get off near the Ward Centre shops (ask the bus driver).

There is a restaurant here called the Old Spaghetti Factory .. not bad meals for their prices. It's on the corner of Ward Avenue and Ala Moana Blvd.

www.osf.com

I'd take a day tour around the island too ... Roberts Hawaii has a good one.

www.robertshawaii.com

If you're there on a Friday night, take in the fireworks (runs about 15 minutes) on the beach at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Hotel. Best views are from the hotel grounds, but it gets packed, so I'd stand on the beach, to the west of the hotel near the lagoon.

It's a lovely walk from the Hilton along the beach back to the main beach part of Waikiki ... I've done it at night and it's just gorgeous. Everyone is so friendly.

One popular place for Aussies to eat is the Cheesecake Factory. My advice is to have a late lunch, or early dinner, as the queues can be quite long. The longest time I've waited is 10 minutes, and I hate to queue for anything!

Check their menu on the website .. a tip, share a meal, or buy a couple of appetisers, just so you can fit in some cheesecake, or take some back to your room for supper. They are to die for.

www.thecheesecakefactory.com

And don't forge to paddle in the water at Waikiki Beach .. a nice lunch at Dukes, or Shorebirds with a view over Waikiki would be ideal.

www.dukeswaikiki.com

www.shorebirdwaikiki.com

And then there's Roys .. they have a 3 course meal for $35 -- with the most amazing chocolate dessert..! It's not on the beach, but in Lewers Road, down near the beach end.

www.roysrestaurant.com

Gosh, I think I've made you fat just from reading those menus...!!! Sorry about that. 3 days won't be long enough ... you'll want to come back... but I hope you enjoy whatever part of Oahu you see and do.

And enjoy New York as well.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Some good ideas Eagle. I would add some of the dining venues on Waikiki that are found during your Waikiki Beach walk. There are many very nice places to dine and many great places to stop for a Mai Tai, if you indulge.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Nice job Eagle.....

I'm reading this trying to figure out what constitutes, 'aging and unfit' traveler?

I'm in my late 40's and at least 15 lbs. overweight and feel a few pains in the morning now and then. But, I'm going to do my best to always label myself a 'young and fit' traveler....:-)

Good luck and enjoy your 3 days in paradise!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

I'm older than 49 ... but I have had a dreadful illness this last 12 months, so not too fit at the moment ... but, I am planning my next holiday to Hawaii and it's forcing me to walk more ... (We had to cancel last year).

Reading Trip Reports and ideas from everyone else, gives me lots of hope to get back there ... so if I can help one person, it brings me so much joy and that hope that I am looking for, to get on that plane soon.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,135 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

Age is exactly what YOU think it is. Physical health is a different matter however.

6. Re: 3 days in Hawaii enroute to NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:42