We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

hi there,

we are arriving from Sydney very early morning into Honolulu on May 12th and not flying out to Kauai until 8pm that same day for a variety of reasons.

I would like to a) lie on the beach for a few hours b) have a shower c) shop Ala Moana, before heading back to airport. ( we will be returning in a few days for a conference so more time to look around)

i want to leave my luggage with the Aloha airport delivery Luggage people (? correct ) , and just catch 'The Bus' ( 19 or 20) from somewhere inside the airport to Waikiki, and then returning to airport from Ala Moana (? correct)

If it was raining long and heavily or something unforseen, where would be a nice place to have a shower to hold up for the morning - i dont really want to spend alllllll day at the Ala Moana centre ( although daughter would love it!).

Fingers crossed the weather will be lovely and we can just relax on the beach, but i'd like a 'Plan B' if not.

any ideas appreciated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

If you can store your luggage at the airport, yes by all means, take the Bus into Waikiki. (I'm not sure about the luggage storage bit, but someone else can advise you on that).

Go to the main area of Waikiki, and walk through to the beach and have a buffet breakfast at the Shorebird ... it's right on the beach, so you will have great views of Waikiki and Diamond Head... you may get breakkie on the plane, but it wont be like this one .. plus by the time you get through immigration and customs, and get into Waikiki, you'll be ready for a top up.

www.shorebirdwaikiki.com

You can then walk around the Waikiki area ... and relax on the beach.

Head towards Ala Moana - just walk through the International Marketplace to Kuhio), and get The Bus from there to Ala Moana.

You can have a nice meal there in the food court, or there are some other restaurants located in the mall.

Or, for a nice cheap Italian meal, stay on the Bus and get off on the corner of Ala Moana and Ward Avenue (Ward Center shops) ... and enjoy a meal at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

www.osf.com

Then get The Bus back to the airport -- allow about 45 minutes for the trip and an hour to check in for that next flight to Kauai.

You'll love Kauai .. it's just so beautiful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,366 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

I think the shower availability is the trickiest part of your request.

If it's sunny, there are outdoor showers at many of the beach parks. But if it's rainy/indoors, I can't think of where you'd have access to a shower unless you rent a hotel room for the day??

suze

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

There are outdoor cold showers at DeRussy park right where the Hilton Hawaiian Village Property ends (next to the public restrooms). If you want a private shower with hot water, I don't know of anything besides renting a room.

I like the Shorebird for breakfast idea. I'd head from the airport to Outrigger Reef on the Beach (where the Shorebird is) then, after breakfast, walk to the sand, turn right, and find a nice spot somewhere in front of Ft. DeRussy Park or Hilton Hawaiian Village (which has bars, restaurants, ice cream parlor, gardens, and an ABC store if you need anything.)

From there, just I'd just ask hotel staff best place to jump on a bus to Ala Moana Center (Technically, you could even walk. But considering your long day, I wouldn't).

If bad weather hits, there's a Starbucks at the entrance to Outrigger Reef and another at the Kalia Tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village where you could chill with a book for hours. Both hotels also have lobby areas where, if you don't mind feeling a litle sneaky, you could chill with a book as well.

There are also coffee shops, restaurants and bars where you could hang out on Lewers Street, which is right at the entrance to Outrigger Reef.

Whatever you do: Don't forget your towel!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,002 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

BeacheeMe, the Shorebird and the Reef are great ideas. DeRussy Park is nice and free showers. The Reef is close to everything in the Waikiki area.

Suze2you, I see you're back from Jamaica (oh, the forums I mean)!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

fasntastic help, thanks for all the ideas - shorebird sounds the go!

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

You could take the bus and book a spa treatment at the Mandara Spa at Hilton Hawaiian Village, which would allow you access to their fab little private pool, showers, steam room, etc. After, eat breakfast or lunch on property or at the nearby Shorebird, as suggested, or at my favorite breakfast spot (2 blocks away) Wailena Coffee Shop, open 24/7. There are tons of shops to check out, a great beach out front, a beach chair and umbrella rental place, and so on.

I would save Ala Moana shopping for the end of your trip so you don't have to schlep packages to Kauai and back.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 15:32
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
4,878 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

Here is the Madara spa website link:

mandaraspa.com/spa/Oahu-Hilton-Hawaiian-Vill…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

oh wow, what a fabulous idea Bips.

9. Re: Day trip airport-waikiki-airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:40