We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

I want to book a condo unit at HHV for my adult daughter and myself. My options are the Grand Waikikiian and the Kalia Tower (the Lagoon Tower is booked). My big concern about Kalia is that it is older and I think the kitchen, bathroom, furniture, etc will be run down while the GW is new. Could someone who has stayed in Kalia Tower recently comment on the experience?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,984 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Grand Waikikian.

It is the newest tower and I believe has the biggest rooms. Also has washer/dryer in the unit. Kalia is old and dumpy I think. Get as high as you can.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Kalia Tower (HGVC floors only):

Worn, tired interior

Hardwood floors, no carpet

Easy access to gym & spa

Pool for Kalia guests only

All units oceanview (I think)

Washer & Dryer on each floor

Grand Waikikian:

New interior

Upgraded kitchen appliances & bath

Smallish units with odd floor plan

Easy access to parking structure

Washer & dryer in each unit

GW cost more than KT.

KT units are larger than GW.

GW is away from any construction that may be going on.

Both are probably about equal distance to the beach.

Lagoon Tower & GW no longer have private pool (LT pool is now Paradise pool & open to the entire resort)

GW is ok if ocean/partial ocean view on an upper floor.

Hope that helps. If cost isn't a consideration, I would choose GW for the laundry, newer units, & easy access to the garage. Good luck in your decision.

DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

This is really helpful! The cost is almost identical for the time we are there, but the front desk of the GW tells me that partial ocean view units are almost all facing Ala Moana, which I assume will be really noisy unless I am on a higher floor, which they cannot guarantee. Ocean view is not available for my dates. At KT I can get ocean view. I would love the newer furniture and appliances but I think I will be more unhappy hearing Ala Moana traffic. What do you think?

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

I stayed at Kalia Tower last year and didn't realize till now that it had condo unit.! We were in a regular old hotel room there with a spectacular ocean view.

I really like Kalia Tower. I found it just as nice as the others towers I'd stayed in at HHV. My favorite thing about Kalia is its location. Technically, it's not that much closer to the heart of Waikiki. But psychologically, the walking distance from Kalia just seems so much more inviting than it does from Ali'i and even Tapa.

We also really enjoyed the Kalia pool and hot tub when we wanted to get away from the kids and crowds at the Super Pool/Tapa Pool/beach.

DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Thank you. I have just booked at Kalia Tower. I believe the units at GW are nicer, and I usually want that, but the guarantee of an ocean view was something I could not pass up. I'll post about my experience there next month!

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Hi experts

Any idea how to book GW? Have been searching vrbo etc but couldnt get any available units.

DC
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Try this:

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Thanks.. Unfortunately, they are all out for Sept... Thats why I am trying to see if there are any alternatives?

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

Love-beach,

You can try www.redweek.com its a site for time share rentals. We have often used them for our trips to the HHV.

Just so you know, they will issue you a certificate (as their guest) using their timeshare points. Make sure the certificate is under YOUR name. The only thing I do not like about renting from an owner is that the room will be serviced only once during your week as opposed to daily if you are paying the Hilton directly. You can request more but I believe they charge you for it.

I would keep trying as some times the dates just all of a sudden open up.

All the best!

P.S... you can also try www.vacationtimesharerentals.com

Edited: 25 May 2012, 15:22
Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalia Tower vs Grand Waikikian at HHV

lb83 what dates are you looking at? GW has room availability for most dates in September direct with Hilton. Perhaps you'd have better luck giving them a call?