We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Hi everyone,

My cousin, myself and our 2 boyfriends are considering stopping over in Hawaii for a week late Oct before going to Miami for a wedding.

Coming from Sydney, flights are only around $300 extra to stop over, so we are thinking we might aswell. However, our cousin who lives in Miami is saying that Hawaii is a rip off being so touristy.

We mainly want to go for the experience, the nice beachy weather, as well as the shopping but I thought I would see what your guys opinions would be on this?

I'm really mostly interested in shopping for Victorias secret, running/training shoes and clothes and make up. Would it almost be a waste of time/money going to Hawaii for just a week and having to pay the extra for accommodation etc, espcially if I could just get the same stuff over in Miami??

Any opinions would be lovely!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Yes you can get the same stuff in Miami .. but there is more to choose from as its a bigger city.

Your friends in Miami may also take you to some factory outlets, where you can "shop till you drop".

Makeup is very cheap in the US .. so have a look at the Macys website for prices under beauty ... and CVS Pharmacy has cheaper range makeup, ie Revlon, Covergirl etc. You will be pleasantly surprised.

www.macys.com

www.cvs.com

Also, when you go to a Macys store, take your passport to the visitor information centre and receive a 10% discount for shopping. This card will last a month at any Macys store.

Maybe you could go to Hawaii for 5 or so days to relax on the way home .. it's a lazy holiday place .. but you can see Pearl Harbor, a luau and a few other things that Miami doesn't have. You may need to "chill out" after a hectic holiday on the mainland.

Shopping and restaurants would be the same as Miami.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

You'd be crazy to go there *just for shopping*, because stuff in Miami will if anything be cheaper than in Hawaii. Thats an extra AUD $1200 total for 4 people, so even if stuff in Hawaii was cheaper than Miami, how much would you be spending to make that back? Or look at it another way, don't go there and you have $1200 minimum (that doesn't even include accom) "for free" to spend in Miami:-)

Now, there are lots of other good reasons to stop over there, and as said coming back might be the best time, but if shopping is your only concern, then no don't do it.

Kind of ironic for someone from the land of Disneyland to say Hawaii is too touristy though LOL :-)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

I would stop for sure. Miami will have more late night things, Waikiki is a much better beach area and more fun during the day. Shopping will be comparable. Actually the shopping in Oahu will be closer to your hotel.

Really the biggest difference is the people, Hawaiian people are amazing, Miami just not the same

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

It will be less dangerous for you to proceed directly to Miami. If you stop in Hawaii you'll want to return -- the *shopping* will not be the biggest reason. Unlike anywhere on the mainland, Hawaii is unique.

Coming from Chicago, we could go to Florida SO easily. We go to Hawaii.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Definitely stop in Hawaii!!!!!!!!!

You are NOT going to find that Aloha spirit in Miami, that's for sure :)

Have a wonderful trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Thank you everyone for your prompt responses!

Unfortunately the only time we could do the stop over is on the way to Miami because we have sporting comittments to get home to the weekend after the wedding, boo.

In addition to my uncertainty of the stopover, my aunty has just found cheap flights online today for Sydney to Miami flights - only $1700 return, where as yesterday we were looking at a possible $2600 to do the Hawaii stopover...

Thinking it might be a sign to save Hawaii for another time and do it properly, so that we can stay for more then a week? Any thoughts??

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
653 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

We just stopped for 8 days in Waikiki on our way back to Florida from our trip to Australia. We lived most of our lives in Miami. Shopping is great in Hawaii just like it is in Miami. We were with our mates from Australia and our Aussie friends went to Hawaii just to shop.

Stuff is so much cheaper in the states then it is in Oz.

Shopping is going to be a little more expensive in Waikiki then it is in Miami. Shopping is going to be way easier in hawaii. Ala Moana mall is great and the strip in Waikiki is fill with great door to door shopping. In Miami you will be fighting traffic to drive around to shopping venues. There are plenty of great ones in Miami to visit. You are not going to save a whole lot of money in Miami. There are free shuttles in Waikiki to an outlet mall. We went but I wouldn't recommend it. Our Aussie friends loved the outlet mall.

But Hawaii is so much nicer than Miami. It would be crazy not to go to Hawaii, in my humble opinion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Yes, i've heard from lots of people how good the shopping is in Hawaii thats why I was definately keen to go over!

But now that we have found such cheap flights we are thinking we are going to skip Hawaii this year and hopefully return sometime next year to do a longer trip.

I'm surprised that most of you are saying Miami will be cheaper! Cant wait!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,238 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Honolulu is the most isolated city on the planet....

Everything must be shipped in via air or a multi- day trip on a cargo ship.

Miami is connected to East Coast and mid-west manufacturers and wholesalers by rail lines and freeways.

Apart from Japanese cars, which we seem to get competitively-priced, and local delicacies, few things are cheaper here in Hawaii than mainland cities.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Possible Honolulu stopover before going to Miami, Florida.

Do your wedding trip. Plan to come to Hawaii for Hawaii another time.